AquaRite showing "Check Salt" and "Inspect Cell" LEDS on

cflannagan

Gold Supporter
Apr 2, 2011
Palm Harbor, Florida
This one is puzzling me.

* If SWG is left unattended, the salt level eventually shows 1600. Both "Check Salt" and "Inspect Cell" LEDs stay on
* 1600 is not correct based on my own testing (tested salt level using the drop kind, not the stripe kind. 16 drops x 200 ppm = 3200
* Disconnected the T-15 cell and visually inspected it. No scaling that I can see, so I put it back
* Holding down diagnostic button does not reset anything - the "Inspect Cell" LED is not flashing, it remains illuminated, thus why I cannot reset it for some reason.
* T-15 cell is relatively new. It was purchased November 2018 (so almost 1.5 years old)

I'm working on opening the pool for new swimming season. CYA is close to zero (which surprised me.. usually I don't see CYA fall all the way down like this through wintertime). Wasn't sure if my testing kit was bad, I took it to pool store and they confirmed the same (5 ppm CYA). I'll be adding conditioner tomorrow, but I think I have bigger problem with SWG, is that correct? There's no chlorine in pool when I tested, but that's to be expected considering the SWG has basically stopped working for some reason.

Any other troubleshooting steps I can try?

Your previous thread indicates that the cell is operating with no flow, which can explain the problem.

If the cell is operating with no flow, the flow switch is defective and needs to be replaced.

You also need to make sure that the cell loses power when the pump is off or the cell might explode.

What are all of the readings from the diagnostic display?

Last edited:
When the pump turns off, the cell should lose power.

If the cell remains powered when the pump is off, the "No Flow" light should be on.

I suspect that the pump is turning off and the cell is still powered and the flow switch is stuck closed and the cell is operating with no flow.

@JamesW Here's the video showing that:
* Pump is on
* You can visibly see spa waterfall is running (pump = on)
* Visual of the variable pump showing it is running
* Just as a basic check, the cable running between flow check part and the SWG is not disconnected. SWG has electricity
* Salt level is shown as 1600 which is incorrect (drop test shows 3200)
* As part of maintenance, every 500 or so hours, I would see "inspect cell" LED flashing. In this case, it's not flashing at all, it stays on (steady).
* The rest of the diagnostic readings

My video:

Move the switch to off for a minute and then back to auto and recheck the readings.

The cell should begin to generate.

Check the instant salinity reading and move the switch from auto to superchlorinate and back to auto to reset the average salinity reading to match the instant salinity reading.

I tried that troubleshooting step already (reseting the average salinity, switching from auto to superchlorinate and back while viewing instant salinity reading). Will try that one more time and report back. If it behaves the same as yesterday, after some time, the salt reading just goes back to 1600.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After a couple of tries, I seem to be able to get my average salt level at 3400 (matching the instant of -3400). Will monitor over time. Maybe I've been doing the whole reset thing wrong.

To answer your other question - I stopped the pump temporarily (using "STOP/RESUME" button), the "No Flow" LED came on. Then off again when I resumed the pump.

If the instant salinity reading is accurate, I think that the flow switch is sometimes not opening when the pump turns off.

If the cell continues to generate while the pump is off, the instant salinity reading will drop and get averaged into the average salinity reading.

Check the instant salinity, then move the switch to off for a minute and then back to auto and recheck the instant salinity.

Moving the switch off and back on causes the polarity to reverse. The instant salinity should be the same in both polarities.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.