East Hampton NY
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Just started up my pool two weeks ago and gradually getting all teh equipment back on line. It's cold here still, but I read the AquaRite works at temperatures above 50 degrees. My chlorinator is hooked up to a Jandy system, but has worked this way for years and I am pretty sure it is properly set. The issue is that it starts making chlorine, I believe after a reverse polarity too, but then stops after 1-2 hours. When stopped, the lights indicate it should still be making chlorine, but the voltages, amperages and spot salinity show it clearly is not. As soon as I recycle thee pump, it comes back on making chlorine again. Jandy is set to 100% and AquaRite panel indicates 100p (see reading below). Any idea what might be going on? I jhad an issue last week where pump was seemingly randomly shutting off, but that seems to have corrected itself. Water had been getting below 50 at night, but I have confirmed this misbehavior with the water staying at 53 (and outside temperature at 60).

Panel readings after starting pump and waiting for flow to kick in:

100p
AL-5
r1.59

After cycling pump off and back on (to reverse cell - switch has no effect because of connection to Jandy)

100p
AL-5
r1.59

Reading 1-2 hours later

33.6 / 33.7
100p
AL-5
r1.59

I am thinking maybe disconnecting AquaRite from Jandy tomorrow and seeing if it makes a difference. It shouldn't as best I can tell (unless the polarity is not reversing when I cycle the pool pump. buy I believe it is supposed to - if this is the case, perhaps one [polarity is burned out. Cell was installed mid-summer 2020. It exhibited similar behavior in spring start-up 2021, but then worked perfectly since then.

Thank you. I missed that. So when the display reads 100p, it's really only at 20% because of water temperature. Which means that 20% of the time the cell will not generate.

Reactions: JamesW
Yes. AquaRite is reading 62. Jandy reads 60. It powers off when pump shuts off (safety protection). I will let it sit 10 minutes with no
Power and try again

It was 59 when it started today, and the reset I did earlier was not long enough to simulate a power off as you suggest. I am giving it 10 minutes off now and will check again in an hour or two and see if it stays on

Reset while at 62 degrees seemed to do the trick. It will be a week or more before I can test again. Heatwave over and temperatures back to the 50/ for a bit

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.