Aqualink 2.0 and pump not working

cjpfaff

Dec 29, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
Hey All,
Just bought a home last May, and am a first time pool owner.
The pool is older, as is most of the equipment. It has an aqualink 2.0, and everything was running fine and on a schedule after i bought it from the previous owner.

But, as of a few weeks ago.. something weird is happening. If the filter pump is activated from the Aqualink app, it sounds like it cycles for about 20 minutes before just making a higher pitch noise but not really moving water.
BUT.. if i turn on the filter pump from the service panel, it will run the 3 hour cycle just fine.

Absolute noob here... I do have a pool guy but he is more for maintenance/chemicals.
What are some things to look for? I turned it on and off again :D

Change that 1 minute to 3 minutes. I think it is not priming. Might be evidence of a suction side leak. Not sure maybe when you manually turn it on it goes with the full 3 minute prime.

Change that 1 minute to 3 minutes. I think it is not priming. Might be evidence of a suction side leak. Not sure maybe when you manually turn it on it goes with the full 3 minute prime.
Ok, so here is what i observed with the 3 minute priming time...

Starting the filter from the the app: Part1 and Part2 starts (See pic), runs for 3 minute prime time with water moving, then at 3 minutes it sounds like it shifts into a "lower gear" pitch only Part1 shows water moving. Skimmer inlet not pulling water down.

When starting from the service panel: Part1 and Part2 starts but does not stop at 3 minute mark, water moving and skimmer inlet pulling lots of water.

Apologies for my lack of lingo.. reading a bunch now to get better acquainted.

IMG_2821.jpg

When you start from the app, the pump primes, and then goes to "Pool" setting, which is usually a lower RPM. When you start manually it most likely just stays at high speed. Try starting from the app, then after priming is done, change the speed to a higher rpm. I still think you may have a suction side leak. Perhaps the pump lid is not on all the way.

1640885126968.png

When you start from the app, the pump primes, and then goes to "Pool" setting, which is usually a lower RPM. When you start manually it most likely just stays at high speed. Try starting from the app, then after priming is done, change the speed to a higher rpm. I still think you may have a suction side leak. Perhaps the pump lid is not on all the way.

View attachment 386324
Showing that Pool Speed is at 1750 RPM. Cursory google search recommends 2200-2400 RPM, you are at 2000.... Any suggestions?

But also.. you are right. I see some water leaking out of Part2. That certainly wont help things.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Showing that Pool Speed is at 1750 RPM. Cursory google search recommends 2200-2400 RPM, you are at 2000.... Any suggestions?

But also.. you are right. I see some water leaking out of Part2. That certainly wont help things.

This speed matters if you have a saltwater chlorine generator (SWCG). I saw a disconnected one in your picture. Generally I set that at a speed that makes my SWCG happy. Although 2000 is actually almost twice what it needs. 1750 is fine. I was experimenting with useful skimmer flow as well. There is no speed that "needs" to be set otherwise. For my scheduler I keep the pump running 24x7 at low speed so I am always producing chlorine. I could set that for less and run a higher production percent with the SWCG. It all depends on what you want to do with your pool. "Pool" speed is simply a default. If I did not have a SWCG I might only run the pool 2 hours a day. Many variables. I think once you fix your leaks you'll see the pool return to what you are used to. Easiest fix (and most common leak point) is to remove the top from the pump basket, remove the oring, clean it all up, re-lube (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XBH9HI) the oring and reinstall it all. Best case this fixes all your problems. If the leak is not the oring, then you'll need to find out where it is and fix it.

BTW: Pump speed and runtime = money. Below chart shows typical power usage and costs for running a pool pump.

vsp-costs-b.jpg

cjp,

What is number 2? Maybe just the pic, but it does not look like a pump basket.. A pre-filter of some type?? Or???

Thanks,

Jim R.
I agree that is looks like a pre-filter that is before the suction for the skimmers (based on what I can read on the suction pipes). That pre-filter could be another source for suctions side leak.

@cjpfaff It would be helpful to post some additional pictures of your full equipment pad from different angles to see all the connections.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.