Aquacal heat pump LP message

tnthudson

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2008
Central VA
Hello all, long time since my last post. I'm still using the troublefreepool method with my pool, and still using the test kits from duraleigh. Great advice and I recommend you guys to anyone who has a pool who will listen, haha!
I've had a Aquacal electric heat pump since the pool was installed in 2006, with no problems at all.
Last week, I noticed the heater turning on and off very often, and I saw that whenever the unit would cycle and go into Heating, it would immediately stop the cycle and 'LP' would show in the window.
Our pool builder/supplier says that it likely needs freon and calling a HVAC company would be the best route, BUT they also said backwashing several times, in some cases, will help issues with the LP message.
Does this sound correct, and if ya'll have any other advice, have at it. Thanks as always, I love the knowledge at this site.

Model and serial number of the heat pump would be useful. If "LP" is referring to low refrigerant pressure there could be multiple causes for this fault i.e. refrigerant leak, failed expansion valve, dirty evap coil etc..

I have an Aquacal Heatwave electric heat pump, model number 5302B. I don't have the serial number in front of me, but it was installed in July 2006 with the pool. I read that this could be low refrigerant or maybe a bad low pressure switch (or perhaps other things as you mentioned), and the Pool Builder seemed to think it was probably an issue better suited for HVAC, since HVAC can add refrigerant if necessary. Thanks again for the help!

The only trouble with an HVAC company is that many of them shy away from working on a system that heats a pool. Also not many HVAC techs have experience working on a system with a water cooled condenser. If you do look for an HVAC company to work on your heater, try to get a company that uses NATE certified technicians as they tend to be more knowledgeable than the general pool of HVAC techs, but any competent HVAC tech should be able to work on the system if he has adequate information regarding the system. I have looked online and couldn't find an installation guide or installation/service manual for the model 5302B. You might want to contact Aquacal to see if they can get you these manuals, as anyone working on the heater would need these.

Reactions: tnthudson
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.