AQR 15 vs Taylor Kit

JoeRJGR

Jun 19, 2013
Freehold NJ
so I just switched to SWG and installed my Hayward AQR 15. So far so good, with one exception. I used the Taylor test kit for salt and at first the numbers compared to the SWG matched very well, when I was in the 2800 - 2900 range for salt. Then I added about 160 more pounds to get the SWG up to its ideal range of 3200. After another 24 hrs, the SWG is reading 3300 which is still fine, but the Taylor kit says 4000. I have read where a lot of people notice this kind of discrepency and I figured it was better to keep the SWG happy not the Taylor kt. But I am a little concerned there is now too much salt...

Also, I can taste the salt in the pool....is that normal? Maybe I should have waited for a longer time before afdding more salt? I am concerned tommorow it will read over 4000?????

Thanks

With my SWCG I just keep it happy.

You know how many pounds you added to the pool. Based on your estimation of pool volume you came up with XXXX ppm salt. Now, use your Taylor results (after the pool has circulated at least 24 hours) and use the pounds of salt you added and back into a new estimation of your pool volume. You might find that to be more accurate.

As far as comparing the Taylor to the SWCG ppm, they can be different. No worries as long as the SWCG is happy..

As you have a sand filter, you will be exchanging water occasionally so your real salt level will fall over time.

Take care.

If you can taste the salt, then you're definitely over 4000ppm. Salt taste is a bit subjective and can vary from person to person but the average person really can't taste salt down around 3000ppm. If the Taylor kit is telling you the salinity is 4000ppm, then you can believe that because it is a direct chemical measurement. The Hayward units are good at measuring salinity but, like all other SWGs, it's a proxy method that uses electrical conductivity and that is prone to error.

When adding salt to a pool, it is generally advisable to wait 48 hours before measuring salt levels or even turning the SWG unit on. Saturated salt water is very dense and takes a long time to mix with unsaturated pool water. Unless there's lots of kids splashing around and you brushed the pool vigorously for a very long time, you can easily get haloclines (concentration variations in salinity) to develop. Eventually all the salt water and fresh water will mix and homogenize, but it takes time. This is why we caution not adjusting salt levels right away once a large load of salt is added.

If it continues to be a problem (which it sounds like it's not), then you can always drain a refill a bit.

Thanks all. I must be real sensitive to salt taste. Because when I did my initial measurements I figured I was at about 2800 - 2900 and I tasted the salt...I'll just keep in aye on it...hope the SWG doesnt say its 4500 tommorow!!!

Thanks all. I must be real sensitive to salt taste. Because when I did my initial measurements I figured I was at about 2800 - 2900 and I tasted the salt...I'll just keep in aye on it...hope the SWG doesnt say its 4500 tommorow!!!

I taste is under 3000 (based on hayward instatest results, not sure with taylor kit) it's not like the ocean but easy to tell there is some salt in the water. My Taylor results were high as well, I looked around this forum and found many people suggest using a speed stir for salt test or really swirling extra well. Currently my Hayward instant test says 3100 and taylor kit 3600

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.