AQL2-POD2 Successful Battery Replacement

Livin'TheDream

May 6, 2022
I found several posts in TFP about trying to replace the battery in the AQL2-POD2, but no solutions. Except for one guy who wants to sell you the service.

Well, here is my solution, which is working fine. It's simply a matter of finding a battery with the third thermistor wire and swapping connectors:
  1. Find a battery on Amazon or eBay that meets the requirements: 3.7V and 1130mAh. The 3.7V is a must, and the mAh can be more, but not much more without making the physical size too big. Here's the one I used from Amazon, and here's a link from eBay for a variety of sizes and connectors. I never did sort out if any of those on eBay was already the right connector, but I was not optimistic.
  2. Get yourself a T-8 torx screwdriver to remove the back panel of the remote. This is the square POD 2 remote, and not the original handheld version. 6 screws and you're good to go.
  3. Remove back panel, set aside.
  4. Disconnect battery. And a warning: you need a soldering iron and nimble fingers to make the connections work since the wires are a bit small. But definitely doable.
  5. Cut the wires on the original battery close to the battery so as to give yourself some extra wire to work with. This is an act of faith - I cut half way in case I had to go back, but I would go all the way to the battery if I did so again.
  6. Cut the wires on the replacement battery close to the connector.
  7. Solder red-red, black-black, yellow-yellow. Insulate each wire with electrical tape.
  8. Reconnect battery, screw on cover.
  9. Done. Place in cradle to charge.
I find it amazing that Hayward hasn't figured out that they would make more money by selling expensive batteries as replacements instead of trying to get people to buy new $500 remotes. Insane.

Hayward, like all automation manufacturers, are moving away from supplying and supporting controls other than smartphone app based. Cheaper for them and seems to satisfy what most consumers want today.

This does seem simple enough. Its so strange replacement batteries aren't available. They don't last forever.
One thing i would recommend is while soldering use solder paste, and use shrink tubing instead of electrical tape. Ends up being a better job done.
Has anyone had any luck finding a battery with the correct connector?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.