Approximately two-year-old tork 1101B pool timer not working

Aug 17, 2014
westfield
Hi, just opened up my pool and realize that the pool timer was not turning the filter on and off. It visually looks fine, the trippers go to the switch but never actually TripIt. I can turn the electricity on and off manually without an issue. The gears behind the dial look fine. The timer wheel does Seem loose though. I’m assuming this is not just happening to me considering this is a pretty new timer
0a96e7d27bf871df2b50e74af9315a26.jpg
b8c1471da19fe034b55dd354dc008a51.jpg
. What are your all’s experience with this? What would you recommend?

I had this problem with my 3-year-old Tork timer! The dial fell off and the spline screw was still in place. It appears that a friction grip is all that holds the dial onto the spline so it came loose! The screw is too short threaded to add a washer and the dial face is behind flush with the screw head anyway so it seems to be a design defect!

I had a Tork timer for 20 years and never had a problem until the main tripper contact arc welded itself closed. The replacement lasted about three years before it started doing the same as askinstuff's. I just replaced the mechanism again. Fingers crossed....................

Follow up to this post. I'm on my fourth Tork 1104 timer mechanism since the first one failed. The symptoms are the same each time - the timer jams when trying to turn off the pump and the mechanism eventually fails. Given that the replacements are superficially identical to my first one, I'm guessing that something in the manufacturing process has changed resulting in a defect in the timer dial clutch (it's a one-way mechanism). NSI (Tork) were no help, had me running down rabbit holes hoping I would end up just going away. Well, I did - and bought an Intermatic T104.

Hi, just opened up my pool and realize that the pool timer was not turning the filter on and off. It visually looks fine, the trippers go to the switch but never actually TripIt. I can turn the electricity on and off manually without an issue. The gears behind the dial look fine. The timer wheel does Seem loose though. I’m assuming this is not just happening to me considering this is a pretty new timer
0a96e7d27bf871df2b50e74af9315a26.jpg
b8c1471da19fe034b55dd354dc008a51.jpg
. What are your all’s experience with this? What would you recommend?
Intermatic T104R or T104P3. The 104R is generally available at Home Depot. They come in a grey metal outdoor enclosure. The 104P3 is the same mechanism in a beige plastic outdoor enclosure. If your timer is indoors, a T104 is the mechanism in an indoor enclosure. These three are 240v time clocks.
From your label it looks like you are switching 120v. If so a T101R for outdoors or T101 for indoors. Intermatic mechanical time clocks are 'bullet proof."

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.