sparcel

May 25, 2022
San Jose, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm thinking of trying an 8 mil cover instead of my normal Sun2Solar 12 mil, but so far I only see 8 mil blue covers. Anyone know why? Is it because 8 mil is not popular enough to justify offering two colors? Or what? Or, perhaps someone knows where to get an 8 mil cover (for a suitable 8 mil price)?

Good to know. I have seen some comments in this regard before. I just measured my existing 2.5 year old Sun2Solar clear 1200 and it is ~10.5 mil (perhaps +/- .5 mil). It leaves the question 1) is there a desirable clear cover out there that is actual, stated, and priced as 8 mil? The BLUE Sun2Solar 8 mil 20x40 is $155 - but it is not CLEAR and I suppose it might be actually ~6-7 mil. Or, at $220 is the Sun2Solar at $220 for 20x40 reasonable for a clear 10.5 mil. I have not found any clear stated as 8 mil, so I don't know how to compare. (I measured using a calibrated micrometer, in the gaps between where the bubbles are. There are some uncertainties in measuring, but it is definitely more than 9 mil.)

Do you have a real reason to get the clear, or just the manufacturer lies that it creates more heat ?

I bought the lies, and the cover. It didn't produce anything. It stopped a good chunk of overnight evaporation (heat loss) and appeared as a gain the next day, the same as the blue covers.

But unlike the blue cover, the clear one, and let's really call it white because it's far from clear, was hideous. The blue one will fool your eyes to thinking its the pool watet so long as you don't stare directly at it. The white one was clearly not the pool, even at a far away glance.

Yeah, I'm not really sure. I have had 2 clear ones previously. Solarcovers.com claims the clear will last longer (if I recall the explanation was less damage from solar absorbed by the cover itself). You are correct it is not great looking, but I'm not sure the blue one would look better? Certainly the clear one has worked very well for us in terms of heat. Living near San Jose, CA our pool in summer is commonly 88-90 degrees, versus historically more like 80 with no cover. The first cover from SolarCovers.com was a "Crystal Clear Solar Cover 12 Mil" we had lasted 5 years. The 2nd one (Sun2Solar 1200) has lasted just shy of 3 summer seasons (2.25 years since we installed it in May) - but we have been running FC at more like 4-6 starting this summer with CYA at 50.

but I'm not sure the blue one would look better?
It looks like blue water, which your brain is used to seeing everywhere else. Nowhere else is the ground opaque white like that so it stands out.

Many times my green safety color looked like a tennis court because the pool had it's own fence. If I get another safety cover, that'll be blue too for the same reason.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.