Anyone having trouble with newer expansion plugs leaking after blowing out lines?

anthonypool89

Gold Supporter
Aug 26, 2016
Berks County, PA
2nd year in a row that I've had to resort to my collection of saved older plugs. My two return lines use a #6 plug. It seems that the rubber on these newer ones is stiffer and less flexible than older ones. Thinking I might buy them from a different website next year. Until the past several years, I actually hardly ever bought new plugs till the old ones would show considerable wear, but then started buying new ones each year. They're not made the same as years past either. The threaded bolt that goes through the plug has a tapered end (opposite the wingnut side) that doesn't seem to go flush against the base of the plug, so wondering if it leaks through there? They should put a small washer in there. Any suggestions on where to buy plugs that are very dependable? I've been getting them at poolweb.com

This also brings up a question....if both returns are plugged and only one of them has bubbles coming through, is it necessary to pull the other plug and redo both of them? My (single) return line comes from the pad and then splits off (I think on a 90 degree angle - not sure anymore) to form an additional line, so I'm thinking that if one is leaking the water could wind up backing up enough to flood the entire line (?) So I always pull both plugs and start over. Also, like with the situation I described, with both returns plugged and the skimmer line / drain also plugged, I pull that out also if I see bubbles from even one of the return lines. Probably not necessary to reblow the drain but if I don't it's aLOT of pressure at just the returns. Harder to plug. The last time I tried it (four or five attempts - not unusual) I noticed that most of the air was being directed towards the skimmer line and very little coming out of the returns, so I partially inserted the skimmer plug so as to redirect air towards the returns. That worked pretty good but not sure why it happened. Usually, the air comes through the returns first and then, only after those are both plugged, do bubbles start to appear in the skimmer pot. Weird. I just keep going till I'm satisfied that they're all done. Then, I add a gallon of antifreeze in each line. So, all DONE for this season! Glad I only have the 2 return plugs and skimmer (double anthony-style) plug.

Last edited:
Any suggestions on where to buy plugs that are very dependable?
The plumbing supply store. Note. *not* somewhere that has a 'plumbing aisle'. I'm talking the place(s) that actual plumbers go. You likely drive by 2 or 3 regularly and don't even know. Ferguson is one large chain, there may be Mom and Pops also. Google plumbing supply and go talk to them.
.if both returns are plugged and only one of them has bubbles coming through, is it necessary to pull the other plug and redo both of them?
It depends if it's a T or an F. With a T you can pause, let any water recollect and hit it again to get most of it, but with an F, the water from the far one won't blow out the close one.

Reactions: anthonypool89
never had any problems with the old ones.
that's why I have a bunch of them saved. Part of the issue is the sharp angle the return plugs go in on. Pretty much a 45 degree angle coming in the pool so have to get them in just the right way. Another thing is when the plaster was redone it's built up pretty heavy right around the returns so there's not much 'wiggle room' to work with. Always relieved when it's done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.