Anyone else have problems with Dolphin Maytronics?

V___25

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
May 30, 2020
Central PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We first bought the house, the previous owner left us an Active20 which died at the end of the season. I didn't think much of it, I had no idea how old it was, etc. So I bought a new one September 2020 - a Maytronics Quantum. The stupid thing just died on me, not even 3 years old. Doesn't get any power. I tried replacing the cable but still nothing. Of course it's out of warranty so I can send it in for repairs but it's not worth it. I'll return the cable and go back to manual vacuuming. Just curious if anyone else has these issues?

Have you tested the power supply?
Not sure if the older one is the same but it’s quite possible it is
Edit- they seem to be the same
Try using the old active power supply on the quantum.

The power supply turns on and has lights. I'm going to get out the multimeter and see if power is getting to the end of the cable. If it is and power is getting into the unit, then something within the motor is shot.
Like a dope, I didn't keep anything from the prior robot - I threw it all away.

Have you tested the power supply?
Not sure if the older one is the same but it’s quite possible it is
Edit- they seem to be the same
Try using the old active power supply on the quantum.

Yikes $300 for just the power supply. Not sure what I expected but that wasn't it.

Yikes $300 for just the power supply. Not sure what I expected but that wasn't it.
It is the “brain” after all. They are steep. When people have a bad bot but a functioning power supply I recommend they sell it to recover some of their losses or keep it if they replace the bot. Many are interchangeable.

So there's good news and bad news. The good news is that the motor is not dead and the robot works! I also learned how to work a multimeter.
The bad news is that I'm now certified as an electronics repair idiot :cry:. I did not realize that the new cable had go into the spot a certain way and that there was a line to match up. Once I fixed that, the dang thing worked just fine.

Oh and this is why I needed a new cable. This one chewed the cable and did this:
IMG-3036.jpgIMG-3040.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.