Anybody build their own temperature management system?

rootusrootus

Gold Supporter
Aug 27, 2021
Oregon
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
I did a DIY pool controller because it was the simplest way to get the integration I wanted with the equipment I have and the home automation software I use (Home Assistant). But what I don't have is heater control. I wonder, has anyone here built their own setup for controlling a heater?

My thoughts so far are to get a waterproof 10K thermistor (something already designed for sticking into a pool pipe), then perhaps hook it to an ESP32 with WiFi, and write a bit of code to send the data periodically using MQTT over to HA. Then hook the fireman switch from the heater to that same ESP32 (or perhaps a relay controlled by it), and either expose a tiny API, or do some kind of polling from HA. Then I'd turn the heater to a nice high temperature (85 probably) and otherwise use HA to decide when to light it up, and when to turn it off.

I'd love to know what solutions you've hacked together that do this elegantly. My other option I'm considering is a zigbee Sonoff that has 10K thermistor support built in, as well as a relay. Then I could skip the coding part and just go directly with HA.

Check this thread. It might apply, or not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.