Any PVC experts?

danjaymor,

Thank you for those very informative posts. As you can tell, we are mostly hands on DIY type owners so a lot of our pvc advice is from some experience and some assumptions.

It is very kind of you to provide info that's a bit more definitive. We hope you'll stick around a bit and keep providing us with your helpful information on pvc.

I don't want to hi-jack this thread but may start a new one later about pvc pipe to get some other clarifications. :lol:

duraleigh said:
danjaymor,

I don't want to hi-jack this thread but may start a new one later about pvc pipe to get some other clarifications. :lol:

Please do as I would be very interested. The reason I started this thread is because when i closed my pool, I was unable to get the plug in my Polaris return to seal 100%. There were tiny air bubbles when the blower was running (they went away when I turned off the blower) and I tried several times and a couple different plugs. Hence the desire to get anti-freeze into that line as a backup precaution.

Now I'm left to wonder if I ruined the fitting as a result of teflon tape usage over the years on the plugs.

Yes, it's a common misconception that teflon tape can be used on any threaded fittings. It should be used on metallic fittings only. PVC threaded fittings are typically molded and the threads are actually tapered to increase in diameter the tighter the plug is formed.

Pipe sealing pastes or "dope" should only be used, and it doesn't usually need that much to seal properly. I prefer a teflon paste for PVC threaded fittings, but any standard off the shelf thread paste will suffice.

I recommend the "oil filter" rule of thumb: finger tight + 1/2 turn
It does not take a lot of torque for a proper seal.

Although my company on produces pipe, I spent 20 years in irrigation and waterworks supply, so I have good knowledge of various PVC fittings as well.

Here is link to recommended installation procedure of PVC thread assembly from one of the major manufacturers:

http://www.lascofittings.com/supportcen ... lastic.asp

Thanks danjaymor! This information is extremely valuable.

Unfortunately, I've been following conventional wisdom for the past several years and used teflon tape when plugging up the returns when closing. As a result, I suspect that the female fittings on my polaris return has been compromised. This year, I was unable to get an airtight seal with the blower running (tiny bubbles made their way through). As soon as I turned off the blower, the bubbles went away and I proceeded to fill up the empty line with anti-freeze. However, I suspect there is damage to that female fitting. I will inspect the fitting in the spring when I open up the pool again. If there is damage, is there anything I can do to repair it, short of digging up my beautiful stamped concrete deck and replacing it?

Am I missing something here. For 30 years now I have been winterizing my pool and using the same return plugs I thought everyone used, a white threaded male PVC plug with an o-ring. No tape required. It should even seal your return that may have been compromised by tape.

mpnret said:
Am I missing something here. For 30 years now I have been winterizing my pool and using the same return plugs I thought everyone used, a white threaded male PVC plug with an o-ring. No tape required. It should even seal your return that may have been compromised by tape.

That's exactly what I've been using only with tape. On 1 return I don't get a great seal because I think my fitting is cracked. Maybe by trying to over tighten the male PVC plug to stop the bubbles while the blower was running. Or maybe the tape put too much pressure on the female threads.

I don't know, maybe I'm fretting over nothing, because I never see any air bubbles with the blower off and I've never had a problem with the pipes over the winter. I stared at it for about 30 minutes one day with the blower off just to see if i could see any signs of leakage (air bubbles), but nothing. So I put anti-freeze in the line just to be safe.

Once thing for sure is I will stop using tape on those make plugs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.