Any pool heater recommendations?

Krt

Aug 15, 2016
Cleveland, oh
We are in the market for a new heater. We have a Hayward H150 ed2 we bought in 2007. Our current one stopped working because of what I'm pretty sure is the circuit board. About 2 years ago we had someone out for the same issue and they replaced the circuit board with one they found on eBay for $200. Now the cheapest we can find the same part is $350 so it seems like it would be better just to buy a brand new heater at this point.

We live in Cleveland, OH and the pool is pretty shaded. Without any heating the temperature is typically 69 degrees. Because of this I'm thinking getting another gas heater would be best.

The pool is above ground, 24 feet round, and 13,500 gallons. I'm not sure how many BTUs we need as I've seen different sizes recommended. If anyone has any recommendations for brands/sizes/models it would be greatly appreciated!!

The top recommended brand round these parts is Raypak, next most common is Pentair with Hayward and Jandy being the least common. Not a very scientific list but that's the general feeling I get from the forum.

As for size of the gas heater get the biggest one your gas line run to your pool equipment can handle. A larger heater will take less time to heat your pool but at the end of the day you will burn the same amount of gas to heat your pool the bigger heater will just do it quicker.

On the practical side of things the 150k heater you have is fine for your size pool. With gas heaters though there is very little difference in cost when going up in BTU output.

A Raypak heater is what I would recommend. It is the best replacement for gas heaters in today's market.

Yes the boards are expensive for the ED2 units but if everything else is in good shape, $350 is better than the cost of a new unit.

The Hayward ED2 units are the best model that Hayward produced, in my opinion.

Just installed a Raypak a month ago. Highly recommended! So quiet that I can hardly tell it's running. The gas meter is louder than the heater when it's running, but it's still super-efficient and we were quite surprised how low our gas bill was after running it for a while.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.