Any LED color lights stand out as far as reliability?

Apr 13, 2014
Georgia
I have 2 pool and 1 spa of the Jandy colorwheel lights that need to be replaced. I have seen some negative reviews on the Pentair LEDs which seem to be the most popular. Is there anything that stands out for value and reliability? I don't use the lights alot. I have a Jandy Aqualink control system. Should I just replace with white lights for reliability?

I'm running into the same issue. I have the Pentair IntelliBright 5G's and the red LEDs on one of the lights just stopped working. 3 year warranty just ended too. Replacement PCB's are $300+ and it doesn't appear they have fixed the overheating issue so a new light is likely to fail in a few years. There are some other alternatives (see link below) but the problem is controlling them as they don't interface with all of the control systems. You can call them to ask about the Jandy and they should be able to tell you.

Pentair® 619818Z Kit IntelliBrite® 5G PCBA Pool Aftermarket

Are there any white led lights that are less expensive? I’m not obsessed with the color changing but feel silly putting money and time into a 500w old school design. I would think there would be a sturdy $300 or so white led option.

I’m with you on finding a Edison base LED white bulb and the side that color changing lights and just how ‘dated’ they may feel in just a few short years from now. I’ve been supporting my Bulbwizards (color) as they were great and my pool light is still chugging along 2 years on. I had the spa version, but the epoxy back of the fixture leaked and killed 2 of them before I just decided to stick to the white halogen bulb that came with it and I prefer the white light alone. I’d consider a LED white bulb, but just am over swapping bulbs while risking leaks.

Hello all - just throwing out my two cents in here in hopes that it helps if we're even talking about the same things. When I purchased my home a little over 5 or so years ago, the pool light did not work. Bulb was blown. Having never been in the position before, I did what most electrically challenged adults would do and called the pool repair man. Wasn't any way in heck I was about to mess with an electrical component while being wet ;) Long story short, I watched and I learned. After that one blew out, I said a little prayer and attacked it myself. I replaced it again, but this time with an LED I had been looking at on Amazon -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H9Q08ZY/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I ended up needing to replace the old fixture that had developed a slow leak and burnt out some of the lower lying LEDs, but on my second one now and have had zero issues with it. Significant savings over the brand name LED pool lights and excellent quality as far as I'm concerned. I don't have a fancy automated pool system, but I did connect it to my home's automated security system so it's on a schedule with all my other lights. Hope this helps someone if the light type is the same. I set it on the 'ocean' setting at night so it flows between blue and red and is actually very peaceful and pretty...

I’m leaning towards buying the Florida sunseeker modded pentair lights. They are $400 or so and seem to be the best value and least likely to be a disappointment. The leds can be swapped out down the road if they fail.

As a pool service contractor I am starting to get away from the led lights unfortunately. They are expensive and all the top brands including Pentair are just not durable enough yet for long use. I do have a newfound respect for the basic halogen and white lights (r20 and r30 bulb) and anything that has a proven track record. If you really need the colors and light show I would suggest setting aside a small savings account every month for repairs or replacement. The warranty on those LED lights always seems to run out right at the day or two before you can use it..... although I have been impressed with some of the new jandy stuff lately coming out. We will see down the road.

To the extent there is a reliability issue with pool LED's I would sure hope they can evolve and get better, because they provide a beautiful lighting experience with reduced electricity usage (though clearly offset some or all by higher initial cost). Most electronic things do improve and I expect these will too over time. Thankfully, we are through 6 seasons with our 2 Hayward ColorLogic lights without issue. Though I certainly read about trouble folks have with them too.

Let us know how you end up proceeding and follow-up in time with your experience.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I ended up just ordering some Pentair amerlites for now. Its actually cheaper to order those and get the sunseeker LEDs separately. Amazon warehouse had some customer returns so I ended up getting two pool and a spa light for $500 shipped. I ordered an extra with a shorter cord to save some $$$ if one ends up being a 50 vs 100 and I'll return whichever I don't use.

Am I correct that I can use the existing cable to pull some wire pulling string (Doubled up) and then measure the current cables and install on another day?

Mine weren’t epoxied in. It’s only a leak if the pipe develops one. I only add water to the pool once or twice a year. If I have some leakage I will do that first.

The installation was low drama aside from having to recruit wife/ children to assist in pulling cable while it’s cold and rainy.

The most stressful part was stripping the cable jacket once the lights were cut to length. I carefully used a razor to score it then pulled it apart.

Ever think the hard parts done only to have the simplest thing kick you? Anyways I went to put the new lights in the niche which are the plastic Hayward buckets. On the spa, It appears I am going to have to dremel the bolt off about 1/2" as its hitting the niche. They all use a different screw pitch than what was provided. The gas company is enjoying this episode as I keep having to heat it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.