Any issues for adding another filter to pump?

Sparkmaster

In The Industry
Aug 2, 2008
Conway SC
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Question.. I'm not liking my 3 year old sand filter. Seems like I'm getting sand in the pool.. I keep thinking it's mustard algae but according to this site it's usually on the shaded part of the pool area and all of mine is at the bottom of the deep end mostly. So with that, I'm thinking of adding a used cartridge filter after the sand filter to catch anything. I found one on Craiglist that is 3 years old for $100. Any issues with that?

BTW, I took apart the sand filter last year and replaced the sand and inspected everything and nothing was damaged.

Thanks

Depending on the size of the filter it may restrict flow a bit, but it shouldn't hurt anything.

Have you ran an OCLT to see if it's algae? If it's algae, adding a filter won't help anything.
Have you grabbed a sample of it to see if it's actually sand?

Question.. I'm not liking my 3 year old sand filter. Seems like I'm getting sand in the pool.. I keep thinking it's mustard algae but according to this site it's usually on the shaded part of the pool area and all of mine is at the bottom of the deep end mostly. So with that, I'm thinking of adding a used cartridge filter after the sand filter to catch anything. I found one on Craiglist that is 3 years old for $100. Any issues with that?

BTW, I took apart the sand filter last year and replaced the sand and inspected everything and nothing was damaged.

Thanks
Higher head loss and lower flow rate. I don't see the point either. I don't think it would help your situation to leave the sand filter inline. Either fix the sand filter, it shouldn't put sand into the pool, or replace it with the cartridge.

Also, you might want to try adding DE to the sand filter, vacuuming what ever it is and then backwash. See if it comes back. Sand filters are not that great at filtering really small stuff. Could it possibly be dead algae?

I had this same issue last year and replaced the sand and inspected everything and all was good. After I put in the new sand, I had no issues until this year. I did put DE into the filter and watched the gauge go up a few lbs but it still going on.. I also used my pool rover that I had for my above ground pool to clean it up and it is grainy like sand so my belief is it is sand. I'm going to steal a pair of panty hose from my wife and hopefully she don't see it when I cut it up, LOL.. I'm thinking of just buying a DE Filter like I had in the past when I had a above ground pool..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.