TC_Bucks

Aug 10, 2023
Lansdale, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Pipe is adjacent to the return line. Has a ball valve on it and is capped off. The cap is not glued and just slides off. Opening the valve reveals standing water inside the pipe. It is an inground concrete pool. Not sure what it could be for… bought the home and closing for the first time.

Attachments

• IMG_9328.jpeg
    IMG_9328.jpeg
    827.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9329.jpeg
    IMG_9329.jpeg
    460.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9330.jpeg
    IMG_9330.jpeg
    474.2 KB · Views: 23
Pipe is adjacent to the return line. Has a ball valve on it and is capped off. The cap is not glued and just slides off. Opening the valve reveals standing water inside the pipe. It is an inground concrete pool. Not sure what it could be for… bought the home and closing for the first time.
Pressure side pool cleaner? Are there any abandoned return ports in the pool? Would probably be near the center just below the tile.

Forgot to mention there is no spa. Just the 20k gallon pool without any water features.

Pressure side pool cleaner? Are there any abandoned return ports in the pool? Would probably be near the center just below the tile.
There are no ports on the pool side walls. Only the two return eyeballs in the shallow end. The skimmer has two holes in the bottom. Was thinking maybe it could be that - but I read that is most likely a line from the main drain in case pool drains below skimmer line to protect the pump.

There are no ports on the pool side walls. Only the two return eyeballs in the shallow end. The skimmer has two holes in the bottom. Was thinking maybe it could be that - but I read that is most likely a line from the main drain in case pool drains below skimmer line to protect the pump.
Has the pool been re-plastered and may be the port is covered over? I wonder if you blow air into that pipe maybe you’ll find out where the other end is connected to

Given that the pipe is next to your return line to the pool and there is a check valve on the return line (that black fitting with clear top), could it be a way to blow out the return lines for closing the pool in winter?
In one picture the valve is open - was the pump on at that point?

Also, I notice that the line to the suction side of the pump has a union after the valve - so that allows that line to be separated, blow out and then close valve to lock in air to the skimmer line

Given that the pipe is next to your return line to the pool and there is a check valve on the return line (that black fitting with clear top), could it be a way to blow out the return lines for closing the pool in winter?
In one picture the valve is open - was the pump on at that point?

Also, I notice that the line to the suction side of the pump has a union after the valve - so that allows that line to be separated, blow out and then close valve to lock in air to the skimmer line
Yes the pool was recently replastered. Though I am almost certain there was not a port covered up during that process. In the picture with the valve open, the pump was indeed running.

All of the plumbing was done during the replaster and I did it myself. I added the unions for that exact purpose (to remove the pump in winter and blow out return line).

I am closing the pool today and once drained, I'll blow out this pipe first and see what happens.

Reactions: HermanTX
Has the pool been re-plastered and may be the port is covered over? I wonder if you blow air into that pipe maybe you’ll find out where the other end is connected to
I haven't considered that perhaps it is connected into the return lines. I'm going to blow it out with my shop-vac as soon as I get this pool drained. Doing this later today.

If that pipe was connected to one of the return lines and you opened the valve while the pump was running, water would shoot out of the pipe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.