Any Computer experts?

Re: updates

matt4x4 said:
OR Buy and old PC, load winxp on it - don't do updates, and copy LUCID's directory over to it on a memory stick and run it on that PC.

Just buy an older used laptop, install DOS and Lucid, transfer the data and your good to go. I have done this twice for some old DOS only radio programing software. Was able to purchase the laptop on E-bay for less than $200.00 each time. The second one is actually using Windows 98 in DOS mode and I can transfer files with the USB drive still.

Just my thoiughts, Good Luck.

I am the programmer/admin/everything for a DOS based program that is still used at a major US company by over 30 people under Windows. We have users that want the program to run in a window, and others that want full screen. All of the suggestions given are correct, you can modify the shortcut to run full screen. I have never heard of the problem of returning to a window after full screen before. We run under XP SP2 with no problems, and with all current updates in place.

I do have a suggestion. Get a program called TAME (www.tamedos.com). This progam is WONDERFUL and helps DOS programs run much better in a Windows environment. It may very well help correct the window problem. It will also do wonders to help run other programs while your DOS program is running. We use it here for every computer that runs our DOS program. It can cut system utilization by up to 90% (the Windows "DOS box" was/is a hack, TAME fixes it up very well).

Can I ask some questions?

1) You say you have been running this program for 10 years or so. Did something change recently (sorry if I missed it in your post) such as new software, new hardware?

2) What resolution do you run your monitor at? Did you change monitors recently?

3) Have you run a spyware and/or virus scan program recently? One way to control programs in windows is to look for the Window Title and monkey with that.

Another thing I would try - find the target program for your shortcut (right click on the shortcut, select properties, then click on the Find Target button). This will bring up an Explorer window with your program highlighted. Right click that, select Sent To, then select Desktop (shortcut). This will create a new shortcut on your desktop. By default, that shortcut should start in a window. Click on that shortcut to start the program. When it is running and active, use the Alt-Enter trick to run it full screen. If it stays, you are golden (exit, restart, right click on the window header bar, select Properties, then layout, then full screen, then OK, then apply to shortcut that started this program). If it doesn't work with your new shortcut, it is a system problem. Shortcuts can get corrupted in odd ways and hopefully this will fix it (but get TAME anyway!!!!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.