Any Certified Pool Contractors in the House?

May 20, 2017
Toledo/OH
I'm in a weird place with an insurance claim and in need of a certified pool contractor that would be willing to write a statement that I could submit to my insurance company. I am willing to compensate you for your time. My situation is as follows... When opening the pool, while the water was still low from the winter, the wind pulled the cover and concrete blocks into my 18x36 inground vinyl liner pool. The insurance company is willing to cover the loss of the liner, but that's all (not even the pool damaged base that had been submerged in water). This happened 6/13/22 and I had a heck of a time getting any contractors to even come look at the damage because they were all so busy with new installs after covid. Finally got someone out 5 weeks later and told me that because of all the pool water escaping and erosion of backfill to the inside of the pool that the metal walls would be too unstable to guarantee pool wouldn't fail once refilled. The only way he could warranty his work would be to completely rebuild the pool. The insurance company sent out a forensic engineer over 3 months after the pool had been setting empty and he stated that the walls hadn't shifted, so it was ok to be repaired. The liner was still hanging and there was no way he could determine that. I finally removed the liner and have plenty of images showing the wall are out of plumb and bowing. So what I am looking for is a certified pool contractor to state that after a metal walled pool has sat empty for a certain period of time it cannot be repaired, but must be rebuilt. I have plenty of images that demonstrate soil compaction under the walls has been compromised and that hydrostatic pressure from the ground water has compromised the structural integrity of the walls. We can discuss the particulars outside of the forum. PM me for my contact info. Praying someone can help, thank you!

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

What do you expect a "certified pool contractor" to be certified by whom?

I think you need a Professional Engineer, which is a professional certification, to give their own assessment which may be different then the insurance companies 'forensic engineer".

If you have a lawyer advising you he/she should advise you on the best type of professional to dispute the insurance company.

Reactions: kimkats and JamesW

First of all, you're going to need someone who can actually show up to inspect your pool and it is not going to be inexpensive.

Any sort of licensed builder or engineer is going to charge a lot of money to get involved and a lot for every task you want them to do.

You need a local licensed pool builder or a licensed engineer to advise you and to create a plan to remediate the situation.

You probably need a builder who is also willing to do the actual work and give you a price to do everything.

If someone is telling you that it can be repaired, ask them to provide a contractor that can do the work.

If they cannot provide a contractor who will do the work, then their opinion is basically worthless.

As noted, you might want to consult with an attorney to understand your legal options.

Reactions: MAPR-Austin
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

What do you expect a "certified pool contractor" to be certified by whom?

I think you need a Professional Engineer, which is a professional certification, to give their own assessment which may be different then the insurance companies 'forensic engineer".

If you have a lawyer advising you he/she should advise you on the best type of professional to dispute the insurance company.
Unfortunately the insurance company's forensic engineer is a state certified professional engineer. This guy was so clueless that he tried to walk through the deep end of the pool on top of the vinyl liner that was floating on top of at least three feet of water. It was at that moment that I knew I was in trouble.😒

• Haha
Reactions: JamesW

Thanks so very much, I'll begin checking these out.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.