Ants in the pool?

wolffness

Jul 11, 2017
Oakland, Fl
My chemistry is fine. Chlorine 3.0, both free and total. but look at these pictures! These arrived overnight. It was not a windy night, and I have a pool screen. These guys are too big to come through the screen. This is a first for me, as a long time pool owner. I will use the net to skim them off....but thoughts on what happened here? Or how to prevent them from doing this again? (no rain, regular 60 degrees at night, 80s during the day. Pool water is 74 degrees. Any comments welcome. Thank you!

Attachments

• pool.ants.1.jpg
    pool.ants.1.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 31
  • pool.ants.2.jpg
    pool.ants.2.jpg
    455.7 KB · Views: 32
This is normal and is not a reflection of anything wrong with your chemistry. It's a seasonal thing and happens to us in Texas once or twice a year. It's like blankets of ants on the water's surface. They should eventually make it to your skimmer. Hopefully you have a skimmer sock in there for easy cleaning. After a few days they disappear and then next nuisance pest will arrive. :)

After a few days they disappear and then next nuisance pest will arrive.
This is the ants' planet and we just live on it. They are everywhere, and in my experience, never "disappear" (here in CA).

Several years ago, I hired an exterminator to get rid of them. We walked the perimeter together. He spied a large flat rock and said "They're probably under here." He flipped the rock and there were literally thousands of ants scurrying under it. One squirt from his sprayer and I haven't seen an ant since.

I’ve always thought that when kill one nest you provide a new opportunity for another colony. Just gotta keep up with them.

And then there’s the swarming events when you can get a bunch of the winged variety’s in your pool. Just gotta scoop em out with everything else.

Ants are the last thing I would be worried about in FL. Ha ha

full

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude