Another Var. Speed vs. Dual Speed Pump Question

Both the Intermatic and Square-D above are minimal protection. If you really want to be protected, you are better off with a SPD that offers equipment protection like these:

Amazon.com: Square D by Schneider Electric HEPD80 Home Electronics Protective Device: Home Improvement

Leviton 51120-1 Panel Protector, 120/240-Volt - Circuit Breaker Panels - Amazon.com

This may be useful too: What Whole-House Surge Protection?

That Square D looks good. My main panel is flush mounted to stucco siding, so I guess I can part with another $35 to buy a somewhat overpriced mounting bracket that, when recessed below the panel and in between the studs, will give it a real polished look. A good investment overall as I didn't realize that it will afford me whole house surge protection and not just the pool panel.

Panel and pump are fed from main panel 20 amp breakers. Is it even kosher to by pass circuit breaker protection?

I don't believe any of these surge protectors bypass the breaker; they don't go in series with the load -- they are connected in parallel to it, either on the same or a dedicated breaker in the same panel.

FWIW, the Intellifo 2016 model is now called the VS-2 and has model number 011055. It is the replacement for model number 011018, per Pentair website. The only difference appears to be that the keypad rotates, and also allows for mounting a keypad on the wall via a connected cable (as an accessory purchase).

The 011018 is still shown as a current model in Pentair's lineup. The new 2 VST model is more expensive and doesn't get a warranty unless you pay the extra premium to buy it at a "bricks and mortar" store.

The 011018 is still shown as a current model in Pentair's lineup. The new 2 VST model is more expensive and doesn't get a warranty unless you pay the extra premium to buy it at a "bricks and mortar" store.

Need not be a "bricks and mortar store" to get the extended warranty or the $100 rebate. Per Pentair web site, "...purchase must be made in store (or from a pool builder or pool service professional)"

My area has 18 small sized Pentair authorized distributors/pool service pros. Shopped them for the best purchase + install price so as to not end up with that ridiculous 60 day warranty one suffers with a self install. Paid $1275, less the $100 rebate, so $1175, incl. tax. Those small time PBs really put the big boys to shame....Leslie's price with install was hundreds more.

So yes, pro installation is required for the extended warranty, as is the case with any Pentair pool pump, but there are plenty of pool contractors who are Pentair "partners" and are authorized to sell and service Pentair products. My PB is a one man pool service company/contractor. Was happy to get my $100 rebate Visa card last week.

I think when the $100 rebate ends later this summer, the VST 2 pump will end up being more expensive than the 011018. But that rotating display pad on the new model really saved me from an awfully awkward reading positioning of the display pad if I had to go with the older version, given my tight plumbing layout. (For those who want to pay more, you can get the optional accessory of a remote (wired) display pad that can be placed on the wall at eye level).

[My PB did charge me more than expected, however, when He had to install the Intellcom to allow the Pentair pump to work with my Hayward PS-4. Added a few more hundred dollars to the job for parts, labir and a lot of reprogramming. But had to go with the Pentair Pump vs. the compatible Hayward VS pump (inferior IMO, per Amazon reviews). If only I had installed Pentair automation years back...would have saved me a bundle when I moved on to installing a VS pump.]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The $100 rebate and full warranty on the 2 VST pump requires both "in store purchase" and "professional install". The rebates and full warranty on their other intelliflo pumps only require the "professional install". So it does preclude any online purchases on the new pump, but not on the other models.

IntelliFlo 2 VST Rebate

The $100 rebate and full warranty on the 2 VST pump requires both "in store purchase" and "professional install". The rebates and full warranty on their other intelliflo pumps only require the "professional install". So it does preclude any online purchases on the new pump, but not on the other models.

IntelliFlo 2 VST Rebate

Just so people interested in this product understand: although an "on-line purchase" does not qualify for the rebate, you do enjoy the rebate without having the purchase be from a "brick and mortar" place or an "in store purchase" (as per that Pentair link statiing it can be "purchased from a pool builder or a pool service professional" to qualify).

I encourage ppl to take advantage of the competition pricing amongst PBs in your area ("so called Pentair Partners") to get a good price (or rebate) on Pentair products, particularly where the pro install is needed anyways for that 3 year warranty.

That warranty condition still is responsible for a fair amount of the 1 star Amazon reviews for Pentair products in general and their pricely pumps in particular.

Just by way of comparison, I paid $850 online for the 011018, had a friend do the "professional install" and got the $100 rebate in effect at that time, and a three year warranty. The rebate has since been reduced to $50 and the three year warranty has become two. Three years and $100 only applies to the new, higher priced 2 VST, and then requires what Pentair calls "in store purchase". As far as utility company rebates most will apply to any of the Intelliflo models.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.