Mesa, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-20
4 days into my slam. First ever! Pretty sure this pool has never been properly maintained. Following TFP advice to a T now. I would loose about 6-8ppm overnight so started the SLAM. Been brushing 4 times a day, vacuuming morning and evening, checking FC levels 5-6 times a day. Keeping it at SLAM levels 100% of the time. The water started crystal clear and still is. I’ve scrubbed everything, checked the drain covers, skimmer basket area, umbrella hole, pulled the light out, everything looks perfect. Still loosing 5ppm every night. My DE filter was last deep cleaned about 5 months ago, I did do a backwash before the start of the SLAM. Should that be my next step, a good deep clean of the DE filter?

CYA: 55
FC: 24
CC:0

4 days into my slam. First ever! Pretty sure this pool has never been properly maintained. Following TFP advice to a T now. I would loose about 6-8ppm overnight so started the SLAM. Been brushing 4 times a day, vacuuming morning and evening, checking FC levels 5-6 times a day. Keeping it at SLAM levels 100% of the time. The water started crystal clear and still is. I’ve scrubbed everything, checked the drain covers, skimmer basket area, umbrella hole, pulled the light out, everything looks perfect. Still loosing 5ppm every night. My DE filter was last deep cleaned about 5 months ago, I did do a backwash before the start of the SLAM. Should that be my next step, a good deep clean of the DE filter?

CYA: 55
FC: 24
CC:0
Filters are filtering the SLAM level water so that's less likely to be a source. How's your filter pressure and return flow?

Please confirm what your SLAM target level is for FC at the start of the night?
What test kit are you using to verify the results?

Please confirm what your SLAM target level is for FC at the start of the night?
What test kit are you using to verify the results?
I start the night at 24ish and is always 19ish the next morning. I just started keep track of exact numbers today. That was my bad.

I’m using the Taylor 2006 kit with the auto stir because I’m lazy hahaha

Okay.. with CYA of 55 (round to 60), your FC SLAM level is 24 so you're hitting your target. CC is 0 and water is crystal clear? That still seems like a lot of FC loss overnight. have you checked your auto-fill if you have one? Any pics of your pool you can share that we might see some trouble spots where algae might by hiding?

I start the night at 24ish and is always 19ish the next morning. I just started keep track of exact numbers today. That was my bad.

I’m using the Taylor 2006 kit with the auto stir because I’m lazy hahaha
If you continue to have this large drop in FC overnight then it may be worth cleaning your DE filter, assuming you do not have any other places algae is lurking. A picture of your pool and your equipment pad would be helpful.

So backwash it first to remove bulk of debris then open it up and remove the filter grids and clean thoroughly.

Okay.. with CYA of 55 (round to 60), your FC SLAM level is 24 so you're hitting your target. CC is 0 and water is crystal clear? That still seems like a lot of FC loss overnight. have you checked your auto-fill if you have one? Any pics of your pool you can share that we might see some trouble spots where algae might by hiding?
Got the pool cover on right now to warm it up a bit. Got a pool party tonight! Will post pics when I take it off later for you guys. And yes, is crystal clear and has been from day 1. However, last night my fc loss was 3.5 maybe turning the corner finally.

Didn’t think about the auto fill! I just checked. Lots of rocks in it for some reason. Didn’t look bad though, nothing slimy. Kinda hard to clean. I have a round pool brush arriving today so I will give that good clean later. In the mean time, I dumped some chlorine in the auto fill for the time being to kill anything off

If you continue to have this large drop in FC overnight then it may be worth cleaning your DE filter, assuming you do not have any other places algae is lurking. A picture of your pool and your equipment pad would be helpful.

So backwash it first to remove bulk of debris then open it up and remove the filter grids and clean thoroughly.
Last night only lost 3.5 fc, so maybe turning the corner. Think I will give it a good deep clean for the heck of it since it’s due soon anyways

Attachments

• 0B58B8E2-1D60-489C-A188-98F59BCB752D.jpeg
    0B58B8E2-1D60-489C-A188-98F59BCB752D.jpeg
    748.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 1D7135E4-C4B9-4C10-B189-EFC67B2E27C5.jpeg
    1D7135E4-C4B9-4C10-B189-EFC67B2E27C5.jpeg
    801.9 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.