Carrollton tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
my 2017 Raypak looks just like these pictures. At approx $800- 1000 a year for pool heater plus the cost of gas I'm thinking Im insane to consider another heater ....
@Pool Clown have there been improvements since 2017 ? Im in Dallas - we typically run the pool heater for about a month before and after the season ( April to oct ) and then to heat the spa for my wife.
Any other recommendations to keep the rust at bay ? We have good chemistry thanks to this site. Im just shocked that essentially the case of the heater is rusting that badly

Moved from here.

Last edited by a moderator:
my 2017 Raypak looks just like these pictures. At approx $800- 1000 a year for pool heater plus the cost of gas I'm thinking Im insane to consider another heater ....
@Pool Clown have there been improvements since 2017 ? Im in Dallas - we typically run the pool heater for about a month before and after the season ( April to oct ) and then to heat the spa for my wife.
Any other recommendations to keep the rust at bay ? We have good chemistry thanks to this site. Im just shocked that essentially the case of the heater is rusting that badly
I have always liked RayPak heaters for their simplicity (non-LoNox) and lower cost of repair. The biggest issue I had was the fact the cabinet allowed debris to build up beneath it. Four bricks, at about .25@, solved that problem when I would replace one. Virtually every time I ran into a RayPak with that kind of damage, unless the heat exchanger was leaking, was due to debris build up. They would rust from the outside in despite the fact that the bottom is stainless steel. There was one that was below a roof with no gutter. The owner "guaranteed" that he would get it installed. Heater lasted two years and he wanted it covered under warranty.

Ive read some of the threads here and know that the "average life is 5-10 years"
The Raypak was $3700 in 2017 - its higher now like everything else

Im looking for options to keep this from happening again in 5 years. I can't swallow the ~$1000 a year for the heater plus the cost of gas

We typically run the pool heater for about a month before and after the season ( April to oct ) and then to heat the spa for my wife many nights year round.

We have good chemistry thanks to this site. Im just shocked that essentially the case of the heater is rusting that badly.

Can I add a fan in there to keep condensation down ?

Also is it normal for the lid to discolor like that ?

thanks in advance

PXL_20230330_223808667.jpg
PXL_20230330_223724672.jpgPXL_20230330_223733341.jpg

I have always liked RayPak heaters for their simplicity (non-LoNox) and lower cost of repair. The biggest issue I had was the fact the cabinet allowed debris to build up beneath it. Four bricks, at about .25@, solved that problem when I would replace one. Virtually every time I ran into a RayPak with that kind of damage, unless the heat exchanger was leaking, was due to debris build up. They would rust from the outside in despite the fact that the bottom is stainless steel. There was one that was below a roof with no gutter. The owner "guaranteed" that he would get it installed. Heater lasted two years and he wanted it covered under warranty.
So make sure debris doesn't build up around it and raise it up on blocks will help ?

Sorry this looks so disjointed - the top post was a reply to another thread.... Confused. Guess I got sideways with the mods

thank you - can you tell if the paint discoloration from heat is normal ?
If you are talking about the heater top, I have seen that many times. Doesn't seem to cause a problem with the heater function. Asked the factory about it many years age and they could not give a specific reason for it. If ever you see "pink" coloration in the paint, that is flame getting out of the combustion chamber and the heater has to be taken out of service until it is repaired.
The condition of the interior of the heater in the pictures are usually due to a leak in the heat exchanger unless there is a tremendous amount of water falling on that heater while it is in use or condensation. One of the best things about RayPak heaters is what they call the "Unitherm governor," a car-thermostat like device that keeps the temperature of the heat exchanger about 105 - 115 degrees so there is next to zero condensation, unless the incoming water is 50 degrees or less. This is where the factory suggests a bypass valve and the manual instructs how to set it so condensation is not a problem.

thanks so much for the replies

The box was completely closed and looks nearly new from the outside
so rain cant get in and there are no sprinklers near by
We use the heater in the winter to heat the spa at night and since when the pool is on filtering in the winter water feeds from the pool to the spa which would cool the water ..
I would close that fountain/overflow valve but we also have issues with the spa leaking down some as well so that fountain/overflow line keeps the spa clean

Maybe I need to shut that off so that if the spa is heated tonight it doesn't cool off when the pool runs and will retain some heat for the following nights warm up ...

But Ill take what ever recommendations I can get to extend the life

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.