Another pump/filter sizing question !!

The pump would never reach it's max flow rate. For AG plumbing, the typical flow rate is around 56 GPM. The max flow rate on the filter is usually 20 GPM/sq-ft or about 63 GPM so the flow rate is well below that. Ideally, you want the flow rate to be below 15 GPM/sq-ft per APSP specifications which is about 47 GPM. So the flow rate would be above the APSP recommendations but it is below the max flow rate of the filter. Not ideal, but it would work fine.

The PowerFlo would be around 49 GPM so much closer to ideal for that filter. Is there a reason you want to use the SuperFlo over the PowerFlo? The SuperFlo is really an IG pump and not required for an AG pool.

No special reason....had a neighbor who removed his IG pool and had a year old Pentair he didnt want.so I took it.....Hayward powerflo with a 24" filter is what I will use!

Abot the plumbing...2" or stick with the smaller 1.5".?

Again..thanks for the help

Given you are so close to optimal flow rate, I would keep the 1.5" to keep the flow rate down. Seems counter intuitive but in this case, I think the filter trumps efficiency.

I assume the flow rate is based on 1.5" plumbing...?

So, 1hp powerflo and hayward 24" sand filter should give me what I need?

Sorry, just found out my installer is a week early and want everything in place so I can get it up and running ASAP.

I have some 12.5% "shock".. 4lbs of stabilizer.....Muriatic acid as the ph of my city water is high....to get started , am I missing anything ?

Another question....trying to wrap my head around this..and please correct meif i am wrong....the slower the flow(with in reason) the better the filter will do its job. To much flow will push the water faster and bypass the the filter pushing stuff back into the pool? I always thought the more water you pushed through the filter the better the job it did. So...in this case bigger is not better.

Even if I went with the 27" filter the pentair would still be to big....to late anyway caus' I ordered the new hayward 24" today.

I think I will convert the pentair to a 2 speed over the winter for next season...cheaper than buying a new one.

Yes a larger filter does better because the flow rate/sq-ft is lower.

Also, you can convert the PowerFlo to a two speed as well.

Going with a two speed makes a very big difference in energy costs but it can also make a difference in filtering ability. Slower moving water is easier to filter.

You can convert either pump but again the PowerFlo is more suited to your filter at high speed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well...I ordered a hayward 24" Pro series filter and recieved a "Sanmaster" filter which is made by Hayward of Canada. Essentially the same filter with different part#'s. The company I bought it from is near the border and the salesman explained to me that they saved 12% buy purchasing these. After a short discussion about why the product weas mis-represented in the add...the "sandmaster" is going back .

So....I am thinking of ordering a hayward S270t that could be here thursday...my question is will the Hayward powerflo push enough water through the bigger filter or can I use the Pentair superflo ?

Trying to get this figured out as my installer is coming tomorrow and I want everything ready to go so the pool doesnt sit idle for to long.

Now that I look at the specs between the 24-27" filters , I see there is not a huge difference...will the extra 50lbs of sand in the 27" filter jutify the extra cost?? Will I notice a difference...now I'm thinking keep the Hayward "Sandnmaster" and keep on living..

Again, thanks for the help....I am defenitely overthinking this whole process

my question is will the Hayward powerflo push enough water through the bigger filter or can I use the Pentair superflo ?
There is no minimum flow rate for a filter. The lower the better. But with this filter, you can use either one but the PowerFlo is going to be more efficient because it has a lower flow rate.

Now that I look at the specs between the 24-27" filters , I see there is not a huge difference...will the extra 50lbs of sand in the 27" filter jutify the extra cost?? Will I notice a difference...now I'm thinking keep the Hayward "Sandnmaster" and keep on living..
How much extra does it cost? Unless you are getting a full refund and they pay for return shipping, I would be more inclined to keep it and use the PowerFlo. But it probably isn't worth the hassle of return either.

The cost differenc between the 24 to 27" is about $110....

I can return the "Sandmaster" 24" free return shipping and no re-stock fee....I am just wondering if the larger filter is the way to go.

I am sure the Canadian filter is the same as the US version...lets face it...its a plastic vessell with a Hayward valve....I just didnt like the false advertisement. And actually...reading the directions for the Sandmaster says its 25" and holds 300-325 lbs of sand.

I think it would be fine either way. The larger filter would just give you more time between backwash cycles and might clean slightly better because of the lower GPM/sq-ft but it is hard to quantify.

I guess I will stick with the Canadian Hayward.....its a black tank so maybe it will heat the water a bit on a hot day.

I dont mind back washing a bit more to save a little $$ if the filetring ability of the 2 filters is close.

Thanks for the help

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.