Another pool north of Dallas

Thanks guys - it took two days to do the stone, we had the granite picked out and at the fabricators ready to go as soon as the stone was finished, he came out and measured that afternoon and had it here in three days. The area isn't very big and budget limited the extras but it will work for us! Now I'm on the hunt for barstools!

Think I will make a visit this coming week to PB office - I'm ready to have a chat about the scupper wall with the owner...I'm thinking he needs to make me happy...

Be sure you understand the effect of pool color on pool temperature. Dark colors mean a warmer pool, so earlier swim season. But that also means a too-hot pool in summer. Then you get a slightly longer swim season in the fall.

Lots of properly placed umbrellas can make a difference. Have umbrella sleeves where you will sit, but consider if they can shade the pool itself as well. Or maybe landscaping can help shade, like palms near the pool on the southwest side.

Be sure you understand the effect of pool color on pool temperature. Dark colors mean a warmer pool, so earlier swim season. But that also means a too-hot pool in summer. Then you get a slightly longer swim season in the fall.

Lots of properly placed umbrellas can make a difference. Have umbrella sleeves where you will sit, but consider if they can shade the pool itself as well. Or maybe landscaping can help shade, like palms near the pool on the southwest side.

Thanks - I'm ok with a warmer pool - bath water temp is good for me! We did buy several umbrellas and have sleeves and stands to help, also looking at Palm trees - boy are those expensive! The trees and house shade the pool on the east side until about 11 am and then full sun until about 5 pm when the trees and houses in the neighbors yards shield it. I'm hoping it will be ok, but since it's our first time we'll see.

Very nice! Time to check the rita machine..thanks for updating

Dave - that Rita machine is the only thing that has been given a thorough, extensive test and has passed with flying colors! Best purchase of the entire "pool" build!

Update on the wall leak - the construction manager/owner has been out several times, scuppers have been turned on and of course, as is my luck, there has been no major leak! WTF? He is committed to fixing/finding the problem. There are two scenarios that he thinks may be happening - either there really is a leak, or the water is rolling off and under the scuppers and hitting the wall causing the water to soak through the stone from the front. They plan to do another pressure test to determine if there is a leak, depending on what that shows they may tear into it and replace/repair the problem and replace the stone scuppers with brass ones. He said the stone ones tend to allow the water to roll under but the brass ones shoot the water out into the pool. They also plan to seal the stone on the front side to see if that will help. When the leak was really significant the wind was blowing mostly from the north causing the water to hit the wall, now that the wind has shifted and blowing from the south the wall has remained dry. Wish me luck, I'm seriously tired of this and at the point of regretting this whole thing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update on the wall leak - the construction manager/owner has been out several times, scuppers have been turned on and of course, as is my luck, there has been no major leak! WTF? He is committed to fixing/finding the problem. There are two scenarios that he thinks may be happening - either there really is a leak, or the water is rolling off and under the scuppers and hitting the wall causing the water to soak through the stone from the front. They plan to do another pressure test to determine if there is a leak, depending on what that shows they may tear into it and replace/repair the problem and replace the stone scuppers with brass ones. He said the stone ones tend to allow the water to roll under but the brass ones shoot the water out into the pool. They also plan to seal the stone on the front side to see if that will help. When the leak was really significant the wind was blowing mostly from the north causing the water to hit the wall, now that the wind has shifted and blowing from the south the wall has remained dry. Wish me luck, I'm seriously tired of this and at the point of regretting this whole thing.
That makes sense, but the main thing is he's trying to help....and...well, the Rita machine is working!!!

When you start to get fed up, fire up the Rita machine! It's good they're still working on it...

Jro - past the point of being fed up! There's not enough tequila to alleviate the aggravation I feel for this problem. Would I do this again, probably not. We are in month 5 and still dealing with this company to resolve it. They move at a snails pace and have provided theories as to what they think is the problem but have not yet proven it nor are they working to correct it, or offer any refund/perks for the aggravation, delays or destruction that has been caused while they figure it out. Sorry, just venting.

Thanks Mark! We are loving it! Got the barstools and have used the grill several times (at least something out there is getting used)! The patio cover and ODK has been by far the best money we've spent! Would have loved a sink out there but that would have added $$$$$ to the cost.

Pool is still a little cool for me but the son-in-law braved the cold water over the weekend and had a blast! Waiting on a new shipment of palm trees, hopefully they will be in this week and then the landscaping should be finished! I'm thinking about one pindo palm on the west side of the pool for shade and a windmill palm for the southeast side to help block the house behind us. Then I can sit back and relax with an adult beverage!

How's the leak detection coming along? Did they figure out if it's from the scuppers or ???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.