Another pool bonding question

liquid6908

Jun 7, 2022
Philadelphia PA
Hi all,
I've spend the last few few days scouring these forums to learn as much as I could about properly bonding my above ground pool. I think I mostly have it down - the loop of #8 solid copper wire will go around the pool 18-24 inches from the pool wall and 3-6 inches underground, I have a water bonding kit coming that I will connect beneath my skimmer, and finally connect my pump to the bonding loop as well. The one question I have seen conflicting/ incomplete answers on is how best to connect the loop to the pool itself.

In my specific case, the pool claims to have a "coated" steel wall and steel uprights. I have read that pools with steel walls can be bonded at just one point per the NEC code. But what about the uprights? Does the metal of the coated steel wall make enough contact with the uprights to be conductive? Or, should I bond to the wall at one point, and to 3 or 4 of the uprights? What then happens to the other 10 or so uprights that are not bonded? To be clear, I'm not looking to pass inspection but rather make the pool as safe as possible for my family to use. Any answers/ personal experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to TFP.

I think what you are planning is adequate bonding. You can tie in uprights if you want and no one can say if it is necessary or not.