Another newbie! (Looking for advice...)

So, here is my latest questions....

Can I buy a small addition to my existing kit to test my FC and CC?
What is a normal reading on my sand filter pressure gauge? I would like to know when to backwash, but our gauge was broken and we just replaced. Right now it is reading about 18 while just running the filter.
And lastly, after refilling and dumping in 13 gallons of bleach, do I need to wait till chlorine drops to 5 or so and shock again? I will need to go stock up on more bleach if this is the case.

Thanks!!

deesha23 said:
UnderWaterVanya, thanks so much for the tips. Wish we would have thought to do the vacuum hose from skimmer into the water while we were filling just to get some circulation.... Oh well, we will sure remember if we have to do this again! :whoot:

I read about it and it was so obvious since that's how the vacuum works already - but somehow it just doesn't click easily when you haven't heard about it from someone else.

I wonder if when doing this for circulation if you would need to close off returns in the shallowest parts of the pool assuming you have deeper ones. If not I'm not sure what the impact would be other than raising pH by aeration.

A couple of questions...

So, here is my latest questions....

Can I buy a small addition to my existing kit to test my FC and CC?
What is a normal reading on my sand filter pressure gauge? I would like to know when to backwash, but our gauge was broken and we just replaced. Right now it is reading about 18 while just running the filter.

And lastly, after refilling and starting our real fight against the green swamp, we dumped in 13 gallons of bleach, waited till TC reading came back down to 5 ppm and dumped in another 9 gallons of bleach. Can't see any real change yet in the color... how quickly should we see the change from pea green to white?

Thanks!!

You can get the FC and CC tests by buying a FAS-DPD chlorine test, which is available on the Internet from several vendors including TFTestKits.net.

There is no way of knowing what a normal reading on your filter pressure gauge is without backwashing the filter and seeing what it reads.

How long chlorine takes to have a visible effect varies quite a bit. Adding chlorine more frequently, as often as hourly, to bring the pool back up to shock level will help speed up the process.

What is your CYA level now?

How much CL to add will depend on how much it consumed, your CL % and your pool size.

For example, if your target is 18 PPM and you come back in 1 hour, you need to add enough CL to bring it back to 18, depending on your pools volume. For my pool, 10 K gallon, I would need to add 20 oz. of 12.5%

With CYA at 60, shock level is 24, so you should be adding enough chlorine to raise the FC level up to 24.

Without a FAS-DPD chlorine test you can't do that exactly, but you can use whatever chlorine test you have with dilution to get approximate FC levels and proceed from there.

Just wanted to update: My water is definately changing! It looks like a white-ish blue/green this morning, rather than the grass green color it was before. I am so happy to see it moving in the right direction!! Trying to keep the chlorine at a high level, somewhere around 22-24 and it seems to be holding well. (I'm guessing due to the higher than normal CYA)

Anyway, it is looking much better and I am hoping we will be swimming soon! Also, I ordered the reagents for the FAS-DPD test with the scoop and cylinder. I'm doubting it comes with directions since it is just like ordering refills. Can anyone tell me how to use this test?

Thanks again!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another question: I have never vacuumed my pool. We had a pool service up until two weeks ago and never had to do it myself. I have been brushing the entire pool each day as I am working through this shock process. We have a creepy crawly that works great. Should I be manually vacuuming or using the creepy while I am shocking? Also, after my pool is in shape, do I ever need to vacuum or can I just use the creepy?

Hang in there! One month ago, we had a cya of over 200. We had to drain some and refill 3 times. Call your sewage company and let them know you refilled a pool. Ours forgave 15,000 gallons of the refill with a written letter. Now our pool only requires a brushing every couple of days and some cheap bleach to maintain. We refilled with two water hoses at a time overnight.

I finally got my test kit in today so I wanted to share. The pool is definately closer to blue than green and I can see the bottom on the shallow end!!

Here are my results:

FC - 12.5
CC - 0.5
pH - 7.8
TA - 170
CYA - 45

This is the lowest that our CYA has been. I am guessing it may be because the reagents came new from the supplier and my old ones prob set on the shelf at Walmart for a year.

I am a little concerned about the TA being so high. Do I need to be worried about this? Also, I realize my FC needs to be higher for shock level. Heading to Walmart now for more chlorine.

[attachment=0:359k67em]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343861810.735582.jpg[/attachment:359k67em]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343861810.735582.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343861810.735582.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 16
Ignore the TA until you finish the shock process. If you do not see a quick pH rise, there is nothing wrong with the higher TA.

You may want to let the FC drop to below 10ppm, verify your pH level, and adjust it back to the lower 7s before continuing the shock process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.