Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
I didn't cover my salt pool over the winter and leaves blew in. It was clear until a few weeks ago and now it's peas soup and getting hard to see the bottom. I plan to get my sand filter set back up this weekend. I'm just weary of running my pump and clogging the filter up. I have 9 gallons of bleach. Where do I start? Is it green because I didn't get all the leaves out and/or add bleach over the winter?

Once the leaves are gone, I assume I should hook up the sand filter and fill up the pool to normal levels. Any tests I should do before my next post?

Although now I'm seeing freezing weather next week for my area...possible snow. Should I wait?
If you can run the pump for the duration it won't be cold enough for long enough to freeze. Normally some folks wouldn't want to run the pump for 4 days (?) If they didn't have to, but you'll be running it for the SLAM anyway so it is a moot point.

You can wait, or get the head start on the fight. You just KNOW it will be 75 degrees 3 days after snowing, as it does this time of year.
Once the leaves are gone, I assume I should hook up the sand filter and fill up the pool to normal levels
(y)
Any tests I should do before my next post?
Get your CYA for SLAM level.purposes. Test PH and adjust to 7.2. Many of us open way low and it may take several adds to be back in range. If it was a 6 flat, it looks like 6.8 or 7 and adding only makes it a 6.4 which still looks like the low end of the test kit. So add, mix, and verify it worked/needs more.

Where do I start? Is it green because I didn't get all the leaves out and/or add bleach over the winter?
CG, it is green because the algae was able to take over the water. There was not enough chlorine in the water to kill the algae.
Where do you go from here? follow the SLAM Process!
Until you get the pump hooked up, you can add chlorine direct to the water and stir with a brush. This will help slow the algae outbreak. Start the SLAM process ASAP!

I've been trying to find an air leak for a week....I have an in wall skimmer attached to my Intex sand filter. Can't find it for the life of me. Thinking I'll just have to do the plumbing over again. SO frustrating!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Very clean set up. But those flex hoses (or connections) can let the slightest bit of air in on the suction side. So if your water level in the pool is high enough up the skimmer, and skimmer weir door (flap) operating properly, it's probably between the bottom of the skimmer connection and pump inlet. Of course be sure the pump clear lid O-ring is well lubed too.

Reactions: Michelle22
Also, I would really like to replace the hoses with hard plumbed PVC, but I'm not sure how to attach it just yet to the skimmer and pump intake. I'll research that tonight.

So I finally got the pump/filter working. The issue seems to be the weir door. If it's in use, I get too much air, if I remove it, it's fine. There's plenty of water either way. Thoughts?

No, the door was laying flat as water was running over it....so weird because I didn't have this issue last year.

That seems odd. :scratch: The door will lay somewhat flay when water flows over it (pump on), but it will typically bob a bit up & down with the water. You might check the weir to see if anything broke over the winter (freeze damage). Yours might have little tabs on each side that fit into a slot, or might be spring loaded. Probably some foam behind the door as well. But when the pump is off, it should float UP very close to the closed position to keep any debris that's in the skimmer inside the skimmer.

Reactions: Michelle22
When the pump is off it floats up just fine - it's when the pump is on that too much air gets sucked down the skimmer. I took the door out for winter but didn't see any damage when I replaced it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.