Another freezing question - Oklahoma

Dang. I would have thought it would not start freezing until the water temp was a bit lower. I have salt so hoping that buys me a degree or two.

How will your palms fare with this weather?

Dang. I would have thought it would not start freezing until the water temp was a bit lower. I have salt so hoping that buys me a degree or two.

How will your palms fare with this weather?

Palms are plastic...and have made it thru much worse! Trying to upload a video now...

• Haha
Reactions: JJ_Tex
My gut is saying colder days and worse weather is heading your way.
Oh, that's a definite. Not only to mention, it has been no warmer than 20 degrees over the last several days and looking like it may not get above freezing until a week from now. At this point, my concern (and others in Oklahoma) should also include ground temps. They aren't too bad now, but the OP is in Yukon and the soil temps are 35 degrees at two inches and 38 at 10 inches...and I assume they will get down a little colder. I am not sure *how* deep my pipes are buried and I'm not too keen on "see what happens."

Science seems to show that as long as the water is moving through the PVC pipes at a good clip, the odds of it freezing are minimal. Of course, not sure how this might affect the skimmers. Power outages of course are a concern, but thankfully this round of snow will be the very light, fluffy powdery type, so that shouldn't be a detriment...at least here in Oklahoma. Now, for the Texas folks where there could be ice....that is a whole 'nother story! WX.jpg

Oh, yikes. Gambling underground plumbing on the pump not failing or no extended power outages sounds scary, if you were looking for scary. If a PVC pipe gives underground, under your deck, that could be an expensive repair. And of course that would then close down circulation indefinitely, which would endanger all the rest of the plumbing that was full of water/ice.

Regarding how deep the pipes are buried, you can at least see where some portion of them are: at the depth of the returns and at the bottom of the skimmer. And, of course, they all come up out of the ground at the equipment pad, so those sections of pipe start at 0" deep and go down from there.

After reading the post I shared from Chem Geek (who has a lot of credibility here for his smarts) I think you would be OK.

Thanks for sharing his post. It might mean I actually get some sleep tonight. My pool temp right now is 39 and my equipment pad is covered and warmed. No ice on the surface of the pool (bubblers running at one end, waterfalls running, spillover working) yet. I have a plan should the power go out. Thankfully, our security system alerts us loudly to any power outages. Ready to go drain everything in that event. After reading Chem Geek’s post and squaring that with the local pool repair guy’s advice (“just keep everything running”), I’m not second guessing the “to drain or not to drain” decision. Appreciate all of the helpful thoughts on this mess of a winter event. It was in the 70’s in Tulsa a couple of weeks ago.😳🥶

Reactions: HeyEng and Dirk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for sharing his post. It might mean I actually get some sleep tonight. My pool temp right now is 39 and my equipment pad is covered and warmed. No ice on the surface of the pool (bubblers running at one end, waterfalls running, spillover working) yet. I have a plan should the power go out. Thankfully, our security system alerts us loudly to any power outages. Ready to go drain everything in that event. After reading Chem Geek’s post and squaring that with the local pool repair guy’s advice (“just keep everything running”), I’m not second guessing the “to drain or not to drain” decision. Appreciate all of the helpful thoughts on this mess of a winter event. It was in the 70’s in Tulsa a couple of weeks ago.😳🥶

If I had 39F and none of my current problems...I'd feel the same as you. Tulsa is supposed to get milder weather than Yukon...so hope it stays that way for ya!

Got the pool backwashing/draining now....nothing like closing a pool in 14F! And I drain to my yard...so free ice rink!

Reactions: PaigeMark
@Leebo KILLED it the other day advising to figure out every last detail of the plan *BEFORE* it’s 3AM and 10 below when the power goes out. Do a pretend dry run to locate all your draining spots so if need be you already know.

Sounds like you are about as ready as you can be, considering. Our neighbor has one of the MASSIVE pools that was built by Caviness Pools (as seen on Extreme Pools) and they only winterized the waterfall. He said he called them up and they said no worries, just keep it running. Apparently it's not too common to winterize these massive pools.

Oklahoma weather is something to behold, that's for sure! I saw someone post a screen shot of the MESONET (weather reporting stations) from a few years ago. Notice the date. :)

WX.jpg

Reactions: PaigeMark
Oklahoma weather is something to behold, that's for sure!

We are transplants so we’re still learning about OK weather. This is nuts. I keep reminding myself that neighbors on both sides of us have their pools running and don’t seem to be concerned about tenting their equipment or doing anything other than letting the pumps do their thing. I’m probably overreacting but that will be fine if we can just get through this week. I’d be happier getting through the week without the need for draining the equipment pad in sub-freezing temps but we’ll get through. Hang in there everybody!

Reactions: HeyEng and Newdude
I keep reminding myself that neighbors on both sides of us have their pools running and don’t seem to be concerned about tenting their equipment or doing anything other than letting the pumps do their thing
If it gets bad enough they will find us eventually too. But to be crystal clear I am certainly rooting that they will not need to find us anytime soon.

If it gets bad enough they will find us eventually too. But to be crystal clear I am certainly rooting that they will not need to find us anytime soon.
I’m hoping they won’t need to go looking any time soon. Maybe when it gets warmer and they want to learn how to program their lights?

• Love
Reactions: Newdude
We are transplants so we’re still learning about OK weather. This is nuts. I keep reminding myself that neighbors on both sides of us have their pools running and don’t seem to be concerned about tenting their equipment or doing anything other than letting the pumps do their thing. I’m probably overreacting but that will be fine if we can just get through this week. I’d be happier getting through the week without the need for draining the equipment pad in sub-freezing temps but we’ll get through. Hang in there everybody!

This is a very unusually cold spell for OK, which is why you see all of us freaking out a little bit. It rarely gets very far below 20 and usually not for more than a couple days. You may never see temps this cold here again.

My pump has been running the whole time. There's about 3/4" of ice on the surface. However, one practical example of how moving water doesn't freeze is that I have 2 holes in the ice where a couple of the returns are pointed up. The water at the surface in the skimmers isn't frozen either. So that's further reassurance.

There was a little ice trying to form inside the lid of the pump basket. I tarped the equipment pad today and stuck a halogen work light inside pointed at the pump. I've used it in the past to thaw a pipe in a crawl space that was right by the access hole and constantly froze up. Worked like a charm. It just doesn't take very much to keep things moving.

As long as the sub zero temps aren't accompanied by a 40 MPH north wind (typical for Piedmont) I feel pretty good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.