Another CYA question

TomAtlanta

Sep 10, 2011
Atlanta Ga
2 days ago I accidentally spilled some CYA into the pool. It sat there in a pile for 2 days before I noticed it. This raises some questions. I was surprised that after sitting at the bottom of the pool for 2 days it had not dissolved. Is that normal? Does it normally take a really long time for it to dissolve?

I then brushed it away from that spot and more evenly distributed it at the bottom of the pool, fearing there would be a stain where it had sat for 2 days. There was no stain. How serious is the danger of staining from CYA?

Does it normally take a really long time for it to dissolve?
If not aggravated (squeezed) - yes. That's one reason why we never pour granules into the simmer because it just sits in the filter for days.

There was no stain. How serious is the danger of staining from CYA?
More for vinyl than your plaster. Take it as a win.

Have you vacuumed up what was on the pool floor? If not you should, it is acidic & although it may not have stained it is not good for your finish.

In pool school it says CYA is typically kept between 30 and 60ppm. That is a wide range. Where do you keep yours, and why? Also, I thought I read somewhere on this site that it is kept between 30-80. Is 80 too high, or is there a difference of opinion on this?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the CYA is added directly to the filter, it will sit in the filter until it is dissolved. This can take up to a week.

In Atlanta, a CYA of 40-50 will probably work well if chlorinating with liquid chlorine.
If using a SWG, a CYA of 70-80 would be best.

Reactions: Mdragger88
In pool school it says CYA is typically kept between 30 and 60ppm. That is a wide range. Where do you keep yours, and why? Also, I thought I read somewhere on this site that it is kept between 30-80. Is 80 too high, or is there a difference of opinion on this?
The ranges are wide as different locations & weather will determine what works best for your climate. For us here on the sun we have to run our CYA higher lol

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.