DrewPool

May 30, 2023
Salem, New Hampshire
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I had my water tested at the local Pool Store and I testing it on my own with my Taylor Test kit.

They had 75, I had 60 for CYA.

So here's my question, where do you test your chemicals? Outside, Inside, under a rock?

If I'm outside the numbers are different becuase the light is different, if its a sunny day or overcast day they could be different. Does it matter as long as I'm consistent? especially with the CYA test because its a tiny tube with a black spot at the bottom and judging how much of it I can see changes.

Sorry, I tend to overthink everything! haha

For cya - Always in Bright light- outside sunny day is best.
Consistency is key.
I do it in the same spot in my yard every time. If its not sunny today, I wait until tomorrow.
Some people choose their kitchen if it’s bright- mine is not.
The rest of the tests you just need to be able to see what you’re doing. I do the rest on the patio or indoors depending upon the weather.

Reactions: DrewPool
Drew,

The CYA test is pretty subjective, so the difference between 75 and 60 is not a big deal.

The key for me is to do the test the same way every time. I'm looking more for "what has changed" since my last test, rather then how perfect my number is.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I measured it in the sun before I went to the Pool Store to see what they saw. The difference was big enough that I wanted to make sure I was doing it right.
Its crappy here today so I am going to measure it again when the sun comes out. I always take a sample from the same location in the deep end too.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.