Another conversion - Finally done !!!

Mark...That is a great looking pool now. You not only did a great job on the pool but the pictures of the proses of the conversion are amazing. Thanks for sharing a great post to others that might be in the same boat. :-D :-D :-D

Just about done

Well, I haven't updated during the week (actually have to work :shock: ).

The FC has been holding (more or less) overnight with between a 1-2 pt drop overnight. CC's have remained steady all week around 3.5-4.0 (depends on what I consider the "endpoint").

last set of numbers
FC = 4.5 CC = 3.5 pH = 7.2 TA = 170 CH = 270

At this point my plan is as follows

1. Replace filter cartridges - I've got a brand new set. I'm assuming the remaining CC's are tied up in the old filters and replacing them should get rid of the remaining residual goo
2. Add CYA. I've got 8 lbs which should bring my levels up to around 45 CYA
3. Work on TA
since my pH is on the low end of desired, I'm assuming that the CYA addition will drive it down a little bit more. I'm planning on aerating to drive the TA down and pH back up - is this a safe assumption?

I'm also assuming that even though my numbers aren't "perfect" that I should be OK swimming this weekend? Temps have been hitting 100+ and we're very anxious to take the "new" pool for a test drive :-D

I wake up every morning and stare in amazement at how beautiful the pool looks :-D :shock: :-D :shock:

I'll work on a final set of pictures

BTW - final tally on bleach = 126 gal of 10% solution ($345 plus tax and gas to drive to Lowes)

Can't wait to see the last few pics!

Pat yourself on the back... You did a great job! Enjoy the pool! 8)

final pictures. I'm working on getting the chemistry balanced (will address in "BBB" section).

One final note for others planning this adventure.....if you leave your vacuum/robot in like I did (I think it helped keep things vacuumed) - plan on pulling out the vacuum head and hoses. I pulled apart the hoses and there was crusted stuff inside the hoses, which I'm sure was not helping the CC issue. I soaked the hoses in the tub with bleach then ran a high pressure garden hose through it and got out >90% of the rest of the stuff. I also went around the pool with a small scrub pad and cleaned out around the return ports, drain covers, and attachments for the pool rope. Amazing the little cracks the stuff managed to stay in :shock:

The pool sure felt good this past weekend with the >100 deg F days we had - pool temp up to 84F with no covers on at night :-D

Final Picture
poolMay2008001.jpg
:

Mark, I've been reading your reports on your conversion. I am about 3 - 4 days behind you. Kudos on getting through it. I envy your 100 degree temps. It was 42 here in Mass this morning. My pool temp is 59 degrees. We hope to be able to get in the pool by mid June at this rate. I also found brown crud in every nook of the pool. That Baq-Crud really tries to hold on. My CC is holding at .1. Once that gets down to .5 or less, I'm done.

Again, nice job and thanks for the posts and pictures.

Russ

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Just about done

zinengineer said:
final tally on bleach = 126 gal of 10% solution ($345 plus tax and gas to drive to Lowes)

Send your receipts to Baquacil! :p

Seriously though, I believe you will find that to be money well spent!

Great work! Great documentation!

GREAT POOL!:smile:

Re: Another conversion - Finally done (at least I thought so)

so.....it's been a while since I "completed" my conversion. Enjoying the sparking clean pool, doing daily (VERY simple) testing, adding my 1 gal of HASA bleach (in returnable containers) every other day. I've even had to do the acid/aeration thing a few times to adjust pH and TA - no biggie.

so, as I do my daily testing I continue to notice that the CC's remain steadfastly at 0.5. I've also cleaned my filters a few times and see evidence of residual "goo" - you know, that brown/orange flaky stuff. I know I cleaned out my hose leading to my Hayward navigator (got "most" of it out) and I also pulled all the jets on my spa (they were stuffed with the stuff).

Over the course of a few weeks, my Navigator seems to have found a very comfortable spot in the deep end. In fact, it won't move....hmmmm

Well, I opened up the Navi to see what was ailing it. Turns out I had a few bearings shot; I'll have to take it into L*$*#$lie's since I don't have exactly the right tool. HOWEVER....the thing was FULL of crusted, flaky, orange goo. I've cleaned it as best as I can so hopefully this will finally drive out the remaining vestiages of CC's I've been chasing.

Moral of the story - if you do a conversion from goo to chlorine....you must clean out ANYTHING which has come in contact with both goo and chlorine.

It's certainly been an adventure :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.