Another ACID Magic question

Vegas Mike

Mar 30, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
Anyone else using ACID Magic in place of 31.5% HCl in their IntelliChem? Any issues?

This topic appears periodically, but now from me because Leslie's Pool no longer stocks 31.5% acid and sells this instead. Leslie's was the only place I had been able to get the 31.5% acid, a concentration I prefer to minimize wear on my acid pump (using 2 gallons / month). Previous TFP comments stated ACID Magic had phosphates, or was dilute. The manufacturer, Certol, claims it contains no phosphates or phosphorus compounds, contains the same HCl concentration as 31.5% HCl, and is NSF certified for use in drinking water.

The problem is that the MSDS lists proprietary ingredients in addition to the HCl, so we don't know what else it contains, plus no HCl concentration is listed on the container although it is on their Web page, stating ”ACID Magic cleans, clarifies, and etches like standard 20° Baume, 31.45% standard muriatic acid.” Certol's data sheet "Adjusting Pool and Spa Chemistry" describes use like normal 31.5% acid.

Comments have been posted on TFP for Certol’s disclaimer "ACID Magic should not be used to aid or effect any pool disinfectant product or other water modifier." Spoke with a tech representative at Certol (they called back!) who told me that was a California-required disclaimer meaning ACID Magic cannot be used to purify water. Gotta love California – cancer stickers on everything.

My big concern was whether the ACID Magic proprietary additions would harm my SWG, but the Certol tech representative assured me that is not an issue. He also said the product was reformulated in 2018, so I guess all the previous concerns of phosphates could have been true before then.

The 14.5% muriatic acid from the big-box stores costs $7/gallon. This stuff costs $17/gallon, but if is really 31.5% HCl, that's equivalent to $7.83/gallon for the 14.5%. Not much more cost for avoiding the fumes when I fill my IntelliChem acid tank.

I can track acid additions using the Pentair ScreenLogic history. They seem variable, but should be able to show a large change if it occurs.

I wouldn’t use it. These types of “magic” chemicals typically contain acid-safe non-ionic surfactants to change the viscosity of the solution and reduce the vapor pressure. This is how they can claim to be non-fuming. Whatever additives they are using, you don’t want them in your pool. Sure, they’ll claim it’s ok to use in pools but that’s because it’s not a regulated chemical or doesn’t interfere with anything else …. But you’re still adding it to your water. It’s like how TFP can no longer recommend using Clorox bleach products for adding FC to a pool, the “fabric protection” technology is just another additive that can cause cloudiness and foaming.

Are you sure you can’t find straight MA anywhere?? It’s in every big box hardware store and grocery store here in Tucson and you’re not that far away …

I get my muriatic acid at the Bullhead City Home Depot. Lots of cases of 31.45%. I have never looked in Vegas.

Welp, that’s a stinker. If all you have is Acid Magic then I suppose that’s the best you can do. Just keep track of what you’re using and maybe document it here in case others run into the same supply issue. If it turns out that it makes no difference to the operation of your IpH acid injector, then that’s at least good to know. Long term I would just keep an eye on FC demand to see if any of the additives have an effect and also look out for foamy or cloudy water with use.

Maybe if @mknauss is in a friendly mood, he’ll grab a couple of cases of straight MA on his way up to the Caesar’s All You Can Eat 24 Hour Buffet and leave them in the parking lot for you …. he’s been known to be partial to the One Arm Bandits and a frequent visitor of the Mahjong tables.

Check to see where your closest Hasa dealer is. I believe there are a few in Vegas.

Or call around to all the mom & pop pool stores to see if they carry it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.