NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Been watching weekly forecast and decided to pull the trigger since many days in 70s in next couple of weeks. Usually I have “clean” water but today had a decent amount of dirt as well as leaves. Otherwise water itself didn’t seem too bad. Weird numbers though as pH was 7.2, FC 0, TA 40. Didn’t check CYA yet because water is still 55 deg. For now just added some liquid chlorine until I see how things settle next day or 2. Then once I’m in the mid 60s I get more tight with numbers.

Reactions: Newdude
I just opened as well, I know we have had a lot of rain since closing it last yr, but Dang my salt level was only at 1070. Need 700lbs of salt to get it back up to normal levels. PH was low as well at only 6.5, prob due to so much rain as well.

Water temp 55F, once it's balanced going to turn on the heater get it up to 80!

55 here as well. Probably could’ve waited because it’s been a cool spring but it’s the usual time I do it so just staying on schedule for now. Plus I always figure it’s good to find any issues, if any, early so things can be fixed once nice warm weather hits.

know we have had a lot of rain since closing it last yr, but Dang my salt level was only at 1070. Need 700lbs of salt to get it back up to normal levels.
I started draining only the first couple of inches by hanging a bucket with the submersible pump in it.

20240113_134827.jpg

I tested the top water after and it was still zeroed out rain water, even after whatever mixing occurred from pumping.

I opened with 2400 salt this year compared to the 1000 or less prior years when I dropped the pump to the bottom to drain.

I started draining only the first couple of inches by hanging a bucket with the submersible pump in it.

View attachment 568340

I tested the top water after and it was still zeroed out rain water, even after whatever mixing occurred from pumping.

I opened with 2400 salt this year compared to the 1000 or less prior years when I dropped the pump to the bottom to drain.
Maybe that's why, I had my pump lower, prob second-third step down in the shallow end.

I never gave it any thought and last year I took mid winter samples at various depths. It was more or less 0s up top and increasing with depth to exactly how I left it on the bottom. (Mesh cover).

Draining only the top couple of inches, i opened with at least double the salt and CYA im used to opening with.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Random ques - robo cleaning again now because I still saw some dirt settle this morning. Water is still not perfectly clean but just a little cloudy. Any utility in backwashing the sand? It’s only been on a day and filter pressure is at baseline. If water isn’t as clear as it should be should I just SLAM?

Water is still not perfectly clean but just a little cloudy.
You definitely stirred up some settled crud with the robot, and/or from getting circulation back.
Any utility in backwashing the sand? It’s only been on a day and filter pressure is at baseline
Not at baseline, no. Ironically you should do the reverse to speed it up. You should add DE to effectively make the sand filter a little 'dirty' where it filters finer than now.

If water isn’t as clear as it should be should I just SLAM?
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if algae or environmental

Reactions: mrm1682
Thanks! Vacuuming again today to start because it was full of gunk yesterday so not sure how good of a clean I had. Will keep DE in mind…read about it before but actually never tried using it.

Vacuuming again today to start because it was full of gunk yesterday so not sure how good of a clean I had
I always needed 2 or 3 passes with the manual vac to get it all, allowing at least a day in between to settle.

Robots aren't designed for heavy cleanups, but bless their hearts they don't complain and try their best. IMO the exhaust probably stirs up as much as it cleans. But you also get a full pass of the pool with the click of a button, so run it 8 times if you need. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Poolero
Nice and clean for sure!

Second day of robot cleaning helped a lot. Still picked up a decent amount of dirt and looked much better after. Will run a third today if I get a chance.

It’s been 70 all week and my youngest jumps in. Just seems too crazy for me to do.