Am I SLAMing right?

chemmy

May 11, 2014
United States
18' x 48" above ground Intex/Bestway pool. I have a thru the wall skimmer and a 2500 gph Intex pump with cartridge filters. It was hard to find chlorine for a while here and my pool went this deep green shade I've never seen. It was weird and the pH was off the test chart which was also weird. It took 5 lbs of powdered acid to being it down to 7.2 (and I've never ever had to use acid before so I wondered if someone threw something in?)

Anyway, I found 56% calhypo powder and started using it to SLAM. The deep green went away but it's been over a week now and it hasn't changed color at all and there's bubbles on the surface. I noticed that the calhypo (HTH brand) would turn from white to blue when I put it in the pool but I wasn't sure if it mattered. I've never used it. I finally got some 10% chlorine and I am continuing to SLAM but the color isn't changing and it's kind of cloudy. I am sweeping it multiple times daily and there's nothing floating to the top or anything. Also cleaning the cartridge daily. I need some reassurances or help.

pH 7.2
TA 100
CYA 50
FC 20 (it was dropping to 14ish and I was maintaining it at 20 and it only dropped to 19 overnight, so that's good?)
CC 1
CH 70

I've always been able to resolve a green pool and this is so frustrating. I keep cleaning the filter expecting it to be brown with dead algae but it's usually hardly dirty. I use the TFP test kit if that matters.

Attachments

• 20210607_145825.jpg
    20210607_145825.jpg
    611.8 KB · Views: 10
Did you subtract your CC from the TC to get the FC?

A CC of 1 means there is something consuming your FC.

If I’m not mistaken the number of R-0871 drops (multiplied by 0.5) will give you TC. If you have CC then you need to calculate the FC (FC = TC - CC).

That means you lost 2ppm of FC overnight.

The SLAM exit criteria are:
- clear water
- CC < .5
- OCLT <= 1

Seems you did not met any of them yet.

Two quick questions…

1 - for how long are you SLAMming?

2 - What is your water source? Are you sure you don’t have metals in the water?

Some metals can react with chlorine and make the water green. Did you add anything else to the pool? Algeacide often contains copper.

From what I could find HTH Ultimate Mineral Brilliance Chlorinating Granules has no copper or iron (both could somewhat turn water green). It does lists aluminum sulfate (FLOC) that can turn water cloudy and magnesium something

Bubbling on surface, green water and CC are consistent with organic matter being oxidized. There are plenty of reports of SLAM lasting two weeks, so I wouldn’t give up now.

I’d keep SLAMming for few more days and watching CC and OCLT closely. If those two criteria pass, but water still cloudy/green then it is possible something other than algae is causing it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.