Am I being unreasonable? Grout in coping (other than places it's supposed to be)

eric99gt

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 14, 2009
Houston, TX
Currently undergoing a major remodel on my in ground pool. One item I noted for the pool builder to address is that in the process of grouting the gaps between the coping, they ended up getting grout in about every nook and cranny of the natural openings in the travertine coping. Picture for reference. I said that I expected this to be cleaned out as I think it ruins the look of the coping. I didn't want the grout to fill every hole in the coping, just between the coping, where grout is supposed to go. Builder responded they will try to clean but don't expect miracles, this leaves me a bit concerned. I mean if I was doing the grouting job I would have been meticulous in ensuring the grout stays in the joints between the coping. Am I being unreasonable?

Attachments

• IMG_1325.jpg
    IMG_1325.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 343
NOPE, NOPE, NOPE! The only real way to fix that is to remove and replace the stone. Any "cleaning out" will cause more harm than good. They should have used tape and some kind of covering to protect that from happening. :(

Agreed on the tape and covering. No idea why they didn't. I'll wait and see on their "fix". Hopefully a bit of pressure washing can remove it. I did take a garden hose to it and was able to chip out some. It's going to be a huge PITA for whoever has to try and remove it. I can see this turning in to a fight. Ughh.

The installer made a mistake grouting like that. With a non-filled travertine, the grout needs to be meticulously put between tiles. There’s no other way to do it. I don’t believe that there is a way to completely get it out. Replacing is the only solution. I would expect to not pay for them ruining your tile if you decide to keep it.

Any other feedback? Crew is out here today with acid trying to clean it up but I'm doubtful. I did a bit more reading and installers on a well respected tile forum say it's pretty normal to grout the natural pores as it will just pick up dirt. I just think it ruins the look.

Are you sure it was accidental on their part? Some people like to fill the natural holes with grout, especially around the coping to prevent funky stuff growing in their and dirt collecting. It’s not my thing and I will explicitly be asking my holes are not filled. Whether it was done on purpose or not, it’s sloppy and you should have been consulted.

Probably on purpose but as you mentioned either way it was a pretty sloppy job. Crew was able to mostly get it out, at least to my satisfaction. It'll probably annoy me every so often when I see the small holes with grout in them but I'll survive.

Wow, I'm surprised they could get it out. Great outcome! I guess it had not fully set yet. I am getting travertine and will make sure I let the crew know not to fill them, so thanks for posting this.

I have seen some travertine with holes that were grouted in a matching or complimentary color that looked pretty good. The best I saw was a beige travertine with reddish / pinkish grout. It really looked great. I think a lot of the problem with yours was that they used such a bland grout color, it really stood out. If you still have some grout spots you don't like, you could try staining them with a concrete stain so the contrast to the travertine is not so great.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.