Am I being screwed over??

Jennifer1398

Jun 2, 2021
New Albany Indiana
I am having a 16x32 inground liner pool installed. PB originally said last May or June, but that is another story. My yard is on a slope. PB sent someone out today and said they needed an additional 14,000$ for the retaining wall. How could the original estimate be off 30%.? Too many other issues to list.

Was the retaining wall included in the original quote? Was something excluded or left out (like drainage maybe)?
It sounds wishy washy & like a $$ grab to me. I understand materials may have increased since the original quote but $14k over for a wall is a bit much.
I’m sure some other folks will have more advice on how to approach the builder.
What other issues have you had with them?

Welcome to TFP.

How much have you paid the builder?

How far along is the build?

Retaining walls can be expensive depending on their length and complexity. At least your builder came forward about it early in the build. Some builders try and ignore their mistakes.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I just went through something like this with the PB I signed with. It was still very early in my build (no dig date scheduled) I cancelled my contract with them as I was “sold a bill of goods” they wanted the sale and were willing to tell me anything and fudge numbers just to get it. Like you said far too many things to keep ignoring-anyway the “the bill always comes due” ! I went back to the PB I initially planned to do my build and it has been a huge wait off me

Reactions: Jennifer1398
Was the retaining wall included in the original quote? Was something excluded or left out (like drainage maybe)?
It sounds wishy washy & like a $$ grab to me. I understand materials may have increased since the original quote but $14k over for a wall is a bit much.
I’m sure some other folks will have more advice on how to approach the builder.
What other issues have you had with them?
We just found out from the PB the original quote did not include the retaining wall. Why didn’t he tell us when we signed the contract? He also required 50% down when we signed. I don’t even think that is legal. We are pretty much screwed.

Welcome to TFP.

Retaining walls can be expensive depending on their length and complexity. At least your builder came forward about it early in the build. Some builders try and ignore their mistakes.
We paid the PB 50% when we signed the contract. We were told the pool would be completed last May-June. The shell is just now completed. We had to have them move it once because it was not even close square with the house.

Oh chit-you already gave them 50%!! You might take everything over to an attorney’s office and see if there is anything you can do to get out of that contract to and get most your money back! If they haven’t even dug a hole in your yard there is no reason you shouldn’t be able to recoup the majority of that 50%

We paid the PB 50% when we signed the contract. We were told the pool would be completed last May-June. The shell is just now completed. We had to have them move it once because it was not even close square with the house.

Attachments

• 4B5FF373-7D81-4274-8BFE-EC3825703835.jpeg
    4B5FF373-7D81-4274-8BFE-EC3825703835.jpeg
    933.2 KB · Views: 127

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Where is the retaining wall going ? back side of the pool opposite the stairs?
Do you have a picture of the slope over there?

You're not screwed. Just tell them no, you'll have your own landscape engineer work out plans and work on a retaining wall. I don't see where you'd need one from the picture. They can't force projects on you. get the equipment delivered before you pay them anything else. If they balk at that paying more money isn't getting you anything extra except being out more money.

You're not screwed. Just tell them no, you'll have your own landscape engineer work out plans and work on a retaining wall. I don't see where you'd need one from the picture. They can't force projects on you. get the equipment delivered before you pay them anything else. If they balk at that paying more money isn't getting you anything extra except being out more money.
Back end of the pool looks like it sticks out of the ground 3ft, also look like there is not enough room in the yard to slope it out.
I agree this is something that you should price shop around for as long as it doesn't delay the pool too much.
Try to post a pic of the back of the pool where the large slope is, maybe use a tape measure to se how far the pool wall is sticking above grade there.

Discuss with other contractors what needs to be done and the cost.

There are many ways to build a retaining wall and I think you will hear different views and costs.

Welcome to TFP.

I have a picture. From the initial meeting we were told we needed a retaining wall. Now we are told the price wasn’t included in the original quote. Sleazy pool guy that should be out of business. He lies lies lies😡

I think your builder did not realize how your elevations would work out and how far out your pool would sit.

Maybe the dig was not as deep as he originally thought.

Either way once he say the say the walls sat he realized the walls needed a retaining wall to support it.

If a retaining wall was mentioned and not listed in the contract someone (you?) should have asked if it was included in the price. A contract only includes what is written. Anything else is a bonus gifta nd not an obligation.

You have to review your contract first, when I signed my contract I also signed a presale check list. see below:
It specifically said retaining wall at buyer expense. (meaning its not in the initial quote because they wouldn't know at that time)

The other thing is you should have had an elevation survey before they dug the pool, this would have all the elevations around the pool which would also show the need for a wall.

To me it looks like it's sticking up out of the ground about 3ft. I do think you can correct some of that with dirt and grading.

I think we also need some more information from you. Are there drawings you can share where this wall will go? How high it has to be? Length of wall? materials quoted?

If it has to go around the side and back of pool 14k seems possible. Again I would get another quote, but there needs to be plans or drawings to go by to get a "similar" quote.

IMG_7650-1.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.