Alternative to Bleach

I just paid $21.00 for 2.5 gallons of 12.5% bleach.

That seems to be about the going price.

I bought a few gallons of 12.5% liquid chlorine to use until my water warmed up and I can get my SWG running.

Cost was $8/gallon. Interesting that it was manufactured in Pottstown, PA.

With 34k gallons my SWG will pay for itself 2 or 3 times over its lifespan at today's prices. A gallon of 10% is 2.9 FC for me and even less for you. It's insane.

While we always recommend going at least 2X, a 60k unit will do fine (1.5x) in Pennsylvania. The only downside is that it will need to run about 18 hours a day in the peak season. Calimar has a 3 HP VS pump for $519 that will also pay for itself a couple times over if you have a SS pump.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thanks everyone for your input, and esp your input on the type of SWG. I asked on this forum a few years back about the SWG and was told my pool was too large. I never understood why size would limit my ability to use SWG since commercial pools are much bigger. Any thoughts on that? Is it the length of time it would have to run?

Thanks everyone for your input, and esp your input on the type of SWG. I asked on this forum a few years back about the SWG and was told my pool was too large. I never understood why size would limit my ability to use SWG since commercial pools are much bigger. Any thoughts on that? Is it the length of time it would have to run?
No pool is too large for an SWG. Multiple cells can be used if necessary.

I never understood why size would limit my ability to use SWG since commercial pools are much bigger. Any thoughts on that?
They also make commercial units that can handle much larger pools, but the costs are many times that of the residential units. Many many times even. Lol.

This one makes 6lbs a day which would be 18 FC for you. It's only $8029.

I asked on this forum a few years back about the SWG and was told my pool was too large.
Dunno. Any FC production is better than no FC production. Even if it only made half of what you needed a day it would help considerably and be much cheaper than the cost of LC right now. The 1.5X, 60k unit will produce what you need and then some. With your short PA season, it will live a considerably longer life than if you were in a hot climate.

Reactions: jorowan
They also make commercial units that can handle much larger pools, but the costs are many times that of the residential units. Many many times even. Lol.

Cost is proportional to the chlorine output required and the number of cells.

Reactions: jorowan

This one makes 6lbs a day which would be 18 FC for you. It's only $8029.

Dunno. Any FC production is better than no FC production. Even if it only made half of what you needed a day it would help considerably and be much cheaper than the cost of LC right now. The 1.5X, 60k unit will produce what you need and then some. With your short PA season, it will live a considerably longer life than if you were in a hot climate.
Ok, so if i cant make enough FC i can add more regular bleach? That might make the decision for me! Thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, so if i cant make enough FC i can add more regular bleach? That might make the decision for me! Thank you!
A 60K unit will make what you need and then some, in the peak season. It will need to run about 18 hours a day, but it will do it. Early/late season will need less runtime.

Reactions: PoolStored
If daisy chaining cells, yes. If it's a single cell like This one, it costs 4.4X the single IC60 for only 3X the production.
Compare apples to apples.

The 6lb/day for $8,000 is the equivalent of four Aquarites generating 1.4lb/day for $1,700 each.

Difference is $1,200. A 15% premium for the integrated commercial system. Hardly many times the residential system.

Compare apples to apples.

The 6lb/day for $8,000 is the equivalent of four Aquarites generating 1.4lb/day for $1,700 each.

Difference is $1,200. A 15% premium for the integrated commercial system. Hardly many times the residential system.
The 6lb/day for $8000 is the equivalent of two RJ-60+ generating 3.1lb/day for $1400 each.

Difference is $5200. Almost a 200% premium. Many times the residential system...If you believe CP #s ;)

Reactions: Newdude
The 6lb/day for $8000 is the equivalent of two RJ-60+ generating 3.1lb/day for $1400 each.

Difference is $5200. Almost a 200% premium. Many times the residential system...If you believe CP #s ;)
A Circupool system is not a Hayward system.

Again not apples to apples.

Where is Circupools commercial system? Oh sorry, they don’t have one to play in that game.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.