Almost every day I do something stupid.. Here's todays...

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
I am working on redoing a 8' Cedar Picket fence at a rent house.. I needed to make one metal post longer..

They sell an extension kit that is about 3' long but I only needed about a 16", so the pipe had to be cut.

I used an angle grinder with a cutting wheel. Cutting the pipe makes a nice 4th of July effect...

I did not realize where the sparks were going until it burned right through my glove. Took about 1/2 a second..

The good news is I got the pipe cut and it did not really do any serious damage to my hand.

Still makes me say Duh!!!!

My normal go to saying is... "If I'm not bleeding, I'm not working." :mrgreen:

Glove Oops.jpg

Thanks,

Jim R.

Celebration Wow GIF by Pit Viper

Jim, are you a lefty ? Maybe holding it weird seemed more important than shrapnel direction ? (Until proven otherwise)

Just discovered this post but I'm not getting how the sparks got to the glove. As was said you must be lefty and holding the handle which I get. I think the guard for the wheel should have been oriented in such a way that the sparks take off in a forward direction which in your case was clearly not done. Just my take.

I am Right handed... The whole problem was me... :mrgreen:

I've cut this style pipe many times before with no issues, but it is normally in a vice or in the ground..

In this case, I was trying to cut it on a side walk with part of it hanging over the grass. I was trying to keep the short pipe from moving and this made me cut in an awkward position and I just was not thinking..

I agree with everyone's input.. It was no doubt, my fault... :poke:

Jim R.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.