All levels normal, pool still dark green

Puzzling results this morning. Pool is still jade green but the FC level is now up to 38.5 from a level of 34 an hour after shocking. Because my CH was down to 125 and I had some Cal-Hypo shock left over from our previous pool antics, I opted to use the remainder of that granulated Cal-Hypo in addition to the recommended level of bleach. My guess is my FC keeps going up because all the shock hadn't dissolved within an hour of my original shock. Either that or I have a magic pool that generates its own chlorine :).

Regardless, I'll measure again at the end of the day and report back. The pool looks like a great big vat of commercial grade Gatorade or nuclear waste. Any rough time estimate before that algae starts dying? Also, I've been adding DE to my Heyward sand filter as described in the pool school pages. How often should I backwash that DE? I noted that as soon as I backwash, the pressure out of my sand filter returns to 20 PSI immediately which leads me to believe that any backwash empties all the DE.

Don't worry about the variation in FC testing, it happens. Small variations in the amount of water in the 10mL water sample can throw the reading off a little here and there, and the pool is not going to be uniform because you're not swimming in it. Anyway, it's nothing to worry about.

The number of days this takes is variable really depending on how much algae is in there to begin with and how frequent you check and re-increase the FC, just keep it up!

Evening FC reading was 29, hopefully that means the chlorine is doing its job. The wife and kids think the green isn't as dark as before, I'll reserve judgement until tomorrow :). My son got a flying lesson today and I tagged along in the back. We were able to find my house from the air by looking for the greenest pool in the state!

Sounds good!

It is a suggestion to take a picture at the same spot each day, like straight down at the steps. It gives you reference as you progress through the SLAM

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A slightly dirty sand filter works better than a clean one. That is why you add DE, to make it dirty. So do not backwash until you see a 20-25% increase in your filter pressure.

Take care.

The pool has been in shock for 8 days now, still getting FC drops overnight and still have to brush a few patches of algae in the morning. I can see that my pool has a bottom drain but it isn't clear yet. Per the CYA tables I should have the pool at a FC of 28, we've been keeping it around 30. Is the 8th consecutive day at shock level normal or do I need to elevate to get this job finished?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.