Alkalinity

When I've tested for my alkalinity I have a reading of 250. My pool is an above ground, 27' diameter, and vinyl. I saw that the ideal alkaline level is 50 - 90+. I was curious, how high it too high? and if 250 is high, what's the best way to reduce it. My PH is 7.8. I am still on the learning curve of maintaining a pool. This is just my second year.

I appreciate any advice.

You're going to have to reduce it in steps by using muriatic acid which will lower your PH and in turn your TA. Aerate to raise PH back up and reduce again. It's gonna be a process. Welcome.

Welcome to TFP :)

Your high PH is because of the high TA.. You will bring both down using muriatic acid from lowes, HD, or Pool store.. get the 20% baume, not the "green stuff"

Drop you PH down to 7.2 and when it returns to 7.5 or so take it back down... you can point a return up to make ripples to make it go faster...

I hope this helps :) You can read more in pool school.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help. Tonight when I get home I am going to do a full retest and I will post my results. I figured I'd have to slowly reduce my TA my reading was high. This is only my second year taking care of our pool. I purchased the recommended test kit and I love it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.