Alkalinity range: measured vs adjusted Alkalinity?

Pierrot

Jan 18, 2024
San diego
Hi all,

The pool math app tells me that total Alkalinity should be between 50 and 90. But it's unclear to me which "alkalinity" should be in that range:
- the "raw" alkalinity measure I get with my test kit?
OR
- the adjusted alkalinity (ie: Measured alkalinity - 0.33 * CYA level)?

Given that my CYA is a bit high (70ppm, I know, too high. Will work on that), measured alkalinity and adjusted alkalinity is quite different for me.

Hi all,

The pool math app tells me that total Alkalinity should be between 50 and 90. But it's unclear to me which "alkalinity" should be in that range:
- the "raw" alkalinity measure I get with my test kit?
OR
- the adjusted alkalinity (ie: Measured alkalinity - 0.33 * CYA level)?

Given that my CYA is a bit high (70ppm, I know, too high. Will work on that), measured alkalinity and adjusted alkalinity is quite different for me.
The app does all the math. Just enter measured numbers.

The app tells me to maintain the alkalinity between 50 and 90, and I still don't understand whether it's about the measured one or the adjusted one.
If the range recommendation is about the measured one, then what's the point of ever calculating the adjusted one?

To answer your question:
Use the TA result you get from one of the recommemded test kits.
Do NOT use adjusted alkalinity - PoolMath does the necessary calculations where necessary.

The app tells me to maintain the alkalinity between 50 and 90, and I still don't understand whether it's about the measured one or the adjusted one.
If the range recommendation is about the measured one, then what's the point of ever calculating the adjusted one?
Like Marty said, theres no need to ever calculate adjusted alkalinity.