Jun 13, 2021
Lafayette, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
PXL_20210613_154950687.jpg

Can someone please explain why the Bioguard results show 2 numbers under Total Alkalinity? My test kit agrees with the 161 (This morning my Taylor test kit showed FC 0, TC 1, pH 7.0, and Alk 160). But when I ask the store manager she says the right number matches the test kits/strips but the left number is what it really is(?!?!). I want to start ignoring them but I'm reliant on the pool store to test for cya and hardness and earlier this week it got too low according to the left number (59/104) and they freaked out and had me drain 10,000 gallons and refill which shot Alk back up. Here's the whole story if you'd like....

History: we bought our house this year and the pool store opened it. It was crystal clear. Our pool started to get cloudy Memorial day weekend. We had our water tested via Bioguard by the pool store and followed their instructions to the letter 3 different times for one week. In general Alk was always high, pH was always low, FC was almost nil despite multiple rounds of 5-7 bags of shock. It only got cloudier and hardly ever registered any free chlorine and by this point we'd spent $400 on chemicals. We went to a different pool store and he tested with a Taylor-style test kit (titration) and that employee said we'd never get anywhere until we got our alkalinity down (he got a reading of Alk 220, pH of 7.1, FC 0.4, and TC 1.4). He had us add in 4.25 gallons of muriatic acid then wait, then add 5 gallons liquid chlorine to shock it.

We didn't see any visible results after 48 hours and had to go to the first pool store to pick up our repaired vacuum so we ran another electronic test. They said our alkalinity was so low and our TDS was so high (3900) from all the liquid chemicals recommended by the 2nd store that our best bet was to drain 2 ft and refill (that was June 7). After that the water was clearer but Alk was back up to 190. They told us to bring down our metals first and wait 48 hours. 2.25 qts of Pool Magnet Plus did nothing (metals went from 0.2 to 0.3).

All along I've been reading information from here (and everywhere) and broke down and bought a Taylor test kit that arrived 6/10. I'm finally convinced I should have ignored the stores from the start and followed instructions here. My plan of attack is to lower alkalinity slowly via muriatic acid, bringing pH back up between doses through aeration (I use my shop vac and the pool's two water fountains to aerate).

I'm maintaining some level of chlorine using 3-in sticks in a dispenser attached to our pump. I'm not going to worry about metals or hardness or anything else until the alkalinity is down to 120 and the pH is up to 7.2. I would sleep better at night though knowing what the heck the number on the left of the water analysis results meant?! And that it was safe to ignore it and rely on my Taylor kit.

Thanks for reading all this!

Welcome to the forum!
They report Adjusted TA. That takes the portion of TA attributed to CYA out. Poolmath handles that for us.
You need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols. We will not provide guidance based on pool store test results.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Which Taylor kit did you get? If it’s the k2006c, you’re good to go. If it’s the k2006, you will need to buy more reagents very very soon, but it will get you started. If it’s a different one, let us know and we can tell you if the kit will just need to be supplemented with another test or if you need a different one entirely.

As shown in the signature -- Taylor K-1004 Test Kit

ah, thanks. Missed that.

You’ll need to get either the TF-100 or Taylor 2006c. I know it may seem expensive, but ive been using TFP since we built our pool in 2008 and I spend max $500/yr on chemicals, mostly replacing salt and CYA I lose over the winter from the 80-100 inches of snow we get diluting the water. I get such compliments from the pool builder ppl on the state of our water and liner when they come to close it every fall.

Thanks for the feedback so far! Okay so I just re-read all the articles recommended for first timers (my knowledge was being mixed up by reading articles from all kinds of websites so that's why I thought total alkalinity was so important). I bought the proper test kit but it will take a week to arrive. In the meantime, I'd like to work on lowering CYA. We have out-of-town guests here this week and clear, hot weather predicted so I don't want to do anything drastic and make the pool un-usable. Does it make sense to drain maybe 6 inches every other night and refill to lower cya? We drained 2 feet last week and it took 13 hours to refill using both ours and the neighbor's hose and the water was very cold the next couple days. But it did drop the CYA from 150 to 100 and the solids from 4,000 to 1,450 which was nice (I know pool store readings are terrible but it's all I have until the kit arrives). Also I fished the stabilizing chlorine tablets out of the dispenser and poured in two gallons of liquid chlorine as per poolmath. Do I take a chlorine reading once a day and add liquid chlorine at night until CYA is low enough to SLAM? Do I need to slam at all if there is no algae and the water clears up? (It cleared significantly after the 2ft replacement).

I appreciate all of you who have taken the time to help!

One more wrench... We have an automatic ssfety pool cover that must be closed when we are not outside because we have no fence. So I can't leave the pool cover open unless we're supervising. Another reason I want to go in smaller bursts!

Great on ordering a proper test kit.
Thing is, you do not know your CYA. If your water is cheap, go ahead and drain some as you explain. It will take alot more water to do it that way, if needed, but up to you.
While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.

As far as your cover, it is really important that the pool water surface get sun on it for a few hours every day during the process of clearing organics. That eliminates the CC created. So do that as much as you can.

When you get your kit, run a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

1623635708087.png

It's amusing that they are OK with a CYA up to 200.

Even with the CYA over 100, they say nothing and have you continue to add products that increase the CYA.

1623635873662.png

With a CYA over 100 and an FC not over 4, they can guarantee that you will get algae and then they can load you up with hundreds of dollars worth of algaecide, clarifier, "Super Shock", floc etc.

They are setting you up to fail.

Diabolical.

With a CYA over 100 and an FC not over 4, they can guarantee that you will get algae and then they can load you up with hundreds of dollars worth of algaecide, clarifier, "Super Shock", floc etc.

They are setting you up to fail.

Diabolical.

I know, right?! I am glad I found this site before I kept making things worse with their recommendations. Even if I haven't made much progress yet, at least everything finally makes sense.

Reactions: JamesW
My test kit arrived early! Here are my results:
FC 0.4
CC 0.6
pH 7.0
Alkalinity 160
CH 550
CYA 120 (had to do diluted CYA)
Visual problems: Water is cloudy -- we can just barely see the drains at the bottom in the deep part (5 ft).
Slight iron/rust staining on stairs (I put some Durachlor stain eliminator in a sock last week and it came right off when I wiped the stairs while draining pool but it's coming back)

My plan of attack: Until guests leave add 2 gallons of 12.5% Liquid Chlorine each night

After they leave, drain 2 ft of pool water, clean stairs again, refill overnight, and retest CYA. Repeat draining/refilling until CYA is under 50. Then I need to get the pH up to 7.2 (we have never seen it above 7.0). Then I SLAM. Is this correct? I shouldn't worry about Alkalinity, hardness, or metals until after the SLAM?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your plan sounds good to me, just wanted to add that to save reagents with your Taylor kit you can use a 10ml sample for the FAS-DPD chlorine test instead of a 25ml sample.

10ml water, one heaping scoop of DPD powder, and then each drop of FAS you add to clear is 0.5ppm instead of 0.2ppm. (Results to the nearest 0.5ppm are more than adequate.)

Your plan sounds good to me, just wanted to add that to save reagents with your Taylor kit you can use a 10ml sample for the FAS-DPD chlorine test instead of a 25ml sample.

10ml water, one heaping scoop of DPD powder, and then each drop of FAS you add to clear is 0.5ppm instead of 0.2ppm. (Results to the nearest 0.5ppm are more than adequate.)
Thanks! It took me quite a while to do all these tests today and I used a lot of "stuff"! It was painful to do CYA then realize there's a diluted CYA that I needed to do instead... I knew it was going to be over 100. Oh well -- live and learn

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.