Lemonhead

Jun 3, 2020
Middletown NY-211
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I know it’s not needed but I was wondering a couple things about using . Is it like cya where it will keep building up in your pool ? What is the downside to using it besides spending extra money. My father in law barely tends to his pool. He breaks all the rules here. He uses algaeside and his pool is always mint . I love doing things this way I learned but I’d like to add algaeside to the mix

There are a wide range of products labeled as algaecides with various ingredients. Some that are benign and some that can be very damaging such as algaecides that contain copper sulfate.

Algaecides can do wonders at keeping water clear. That is the Earl Scheib method, though.

Clear water in a properly maintained pool is kind of a side effect of proper sanitation. The sanitizer that destroys the pathogens that are harmful to people also controls the algae that is unsightly. If you properly sanitize the pool, you won’t have algae and don’t need algaecide.

When you rely on algaecide to keep the water clear, you are treating the symptom, not the problem.

Downsides -
  • Cost - even the cheap linear quat algaecides can run upwards of a $100/gal
  • Increased FC demand
  • Water foaming
  • Eye irritation - many people are sensitive to quat type algaecides; it’s essentially like non-alcohol hand sanitizer
  • Smell - when they breakdown some can detect an odor from their by products
  • Possible staining - metal based algaecides can cause stains. Bromine based algaecides can lead to bromine contamination
  • Some algaecides, like EDTA or ammonium sulfate, produce very high CC levels.
Just a few in the list. I have been using a quat-type algaecide to solve a wasp problem. And while it works well at that, I’d prefer not to use it. It does increase overall FC demand a bit and I’d rather not spend the additional funds on it. But if it keeps the wasps at bay, that makes the pool more enjoyable.

Last edited:
I’ve never had green water ever . But I have a dead algae on pool floor problem that I can’t get rid of . I’ve slammed . I mustard algae slammed. I maintain the fc lever according to cya . It always comes back . Always

I’ve never had green water ever . But I have a dead algae on pool floor problem that I can’t get rid of . I’ve slammed . I mustard algae slammed. I maintain the fc lever according to cya . It always comes back . Always
That's one of the 3 criteria of finishing slam but the sand filter could be your issue. Try adding some DE to the filter enough to increase the psi by "1" which a small filter take very little. I would only do it with a freshly backwashed filter knowing the clean filter psi first.

I know it’s not needed but I was wondering a couple things about using . Is it like cya where it will keep building up in your pool ? What is the downside to using it besides spending extra money. My father in law barely tends to his pool. He breaks all the rules here. He uses algaeside and his pool is always mint . I love doing things this way I learned but I’d like to add algaeside to the mix
Algaecides are a waste of money unless you choose to use Polyquat as part of your closing routine. Just use a reliable test kit, keep that FC up (preferably on the higher end for your CYA), and there’s no need to worry about algae with regular testing and maintenance! I recently added borates (boric acid) to my pool and it supposedly has some mild algaecide properties, but I only added it to help buffer my pH. Stay away from algaecide and clarifiers!! Is dad’s pool currently cloudy or anything? Some folks think their pool is crystal clear just because it is blue, but it could be even clearer and more clean. I used to be one of those people who would see a cloudy blue pool and thought it was clear since I didn’t see any green or brown lol. Oh, and algaecides do not get rid of algae if it is already growing in the water.

Last edited:
That's one of the 3 criteria of finishing slam but the sand filter could be your issue. Try adding some DE to the filter enough to increase the psi by "1" which a small filter take very little. I would only do it with a freshly backwashed filter knowing the clean filter psi first.
When at slam the floor stayed clean. As soon as it comes down to normal
Fc level ( I keep mine between 7-9 ) it returns

When at slam the floor stayed clean. As soon as it comes down to normal
Fc level ( I keep mine between 7-9 ) it returns
That points to hidden algae somewhere. Skimmers, weir doors, ladders, stairs, behind lights, and under drains are common hiding spots for algae. Have you checked all of those?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.