Keep the faith. There are really no good options or shortcuts. Keep that FC up and keep doing the tedious chores until, like Patrick says.....

1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

You are going to be rewarded with a sparkling pool and more money in your pocket.

PS - that filter is a little small for the power of your pump and the size of your pool........I am sure that is adding a bit to the time it's taking. backwash as often as necessary (25% rise in psi).

I'm starting to wonder Patrick. It seems as if the water is not improving. What am I doing wrong? Must be something ! I am vacuuming (manually) every day and that is getting REALLY OLD. FC is 17. Sunday I will test CYA, one week after adding more stabilizer. I doubt it will reach 50. Every morning there are a couple small algae spots and a thin film on the bottom of the pool. And every day I vacuum and brush. New Mamba vac just arrived (whew ! ) and I'm going to install it today.

Forgive me from sounding repetitive, but Algae will only continue to grow with inadequate FC. No algae can survive it when its high enough for long enough. Let's take it to 20-22 PPM to make sure we have a good kill level. It will not hurt anything, and it will only cost a little more Chlorine. Either the Cya is higher than we think, or the FC is getting lower at some point than we think. If it's because of the former, that means the same thing...not enough FC. Stick with it, and the Algae will die with enough Free Chlorine. I absolutely guarantee it.

Thanks guys. I'm out of DPD powder but expecting more today. I know FC is very high, most probably in the 20's. No algae spots this morning but still a thin film on the bottom. Water is clearer so maybe I'm making progress. Mamba is on the job. Will test CYA tomorrow. Appreciate you guys !

Still having the same problem. Beginning to wonder if the spots in the pool are not algae and maybe something else. I can sweep the spots away and when I do the water clouds up around the broom. Keeping FC way up around 22. Fell to 11 when I ran out of DPD powder and was afraid to add too much bleach. CYA is up to 40.

They are Green right? They could have come back when you dropped. Still sounds like Algae to me.

But, do you have a chlorine tablet/pellet of any kind? You can set it on a spot for a few moments and it will determine that for sure. Also, if there is any chance you can get a pic when its calm, that might be helpful.

They are Green right? They could have come back when you dropped. Still sounds like Algae to me.

But, do you have a chlorine tablet/pellet of any kind? You can set it on a spot for a few moments and it will determine that for sure. Also, if there is any chance you can get a pic when its calm, that might be helpful.

Greenish brown Patrick. I do have tablets. I have a floater in the pool as well as adding bleach. I tried to take pics before but they would not download to TFP I think because the files are too big and I don't know how to change the cameras settings to make them smaller.

If it comes back and disappears it's Algae.

EDIT: Meaning you almost killed it all/brushed it off. If it does, the answer is the same. Not enough FC for long enough. If the Cya is 40, you maintain SLAM as per instructions, and it will die. There are no two ways about this. Review SLAM, follow it to the letter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If it comes back and disappears it's Algae.

EDIT: Meaning you almost killed it all/brushed it off. If it does, the answer is the same. Not enough FC for long enough. If the Cya is 40, you maintain SLAM as per instructions, and it will die. There are no two ways about this. Review SLAM, follow it to the letter.

Tablet did dissolve the spot. FC 19 this am so added a gallon of bleach which usually raises in by 5

Do that every time, and keep it close to that as possible. If you do, it will turn around for you. It's a little bit extra, but I know you are getting frustrated. Don't let it fall one point below SLAM value, and watch what it does. You'll see it change.

Just a followup. Been keeping the FC up as best I can. Big drops during the day. Some storms which increased debris and then sunny hot weather. The good news is that the water is very clear and the spots on the bottom of the pool almost non existent. I will test FC and CC tonight and test FC early in the AM. Hopefully this ordeal is over. I'd like to squeeze at least a few days of swimming in before we head up north ! Thanks to all who helped me !

I can say from experience this takes patience, but if you listen to these people your pool will be in tip top shape before you know it! I have not finished my SLAM yet, but each day I am getting closer. I started last Saturday and I have been diligent in testing every 2 hours and brushing. If you have a pool cleaner to hook up that helps too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.