Algae under flaking plaster

Swampy86

May 18, 2023
Las Vegas
Hello,

I’ve been a long time user of the trouble free pool method. Normally I’ve had zero issues but I’ve had a strange occurrence recently. Lately, the top layer of plaster on my upper step has been chipping off. The house was built in 1986 and I’m pretty sure it’s still the original plaster, so I’m not that surprised about it chipping; however, when a new piece chips off, I’ve been finding black/green algae under the plaster. After a few days of being exposed the algae dies and disappears. I’m not sure if this is what’s causing it to chip or is just forming once the plaster starts to loosen and gets water under it. Has anyone seen this before or is there anything I can do? I just want to make sure I’m not accelerating the plasters deterioration. Thanks! IMG_4764.jpeg

The algae is not causing the delimitation of the plaster.
The delaminating will more than likely continue to spread as the water works its way between the layers of plaster.
There are plaster patch compounds that work under water.View attachment 493141
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I’ve got some of that EZ patch, I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something since I’ve never had algae problems before. I’ll patch it for now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.