Algae - sand filter too old?

pwrstrk said:
If your continuing to SLAM, your FC levels need to come up.

Every morning and evening I raise FC to the shock level (16). It drops to 11 during the day (with SWG running) and to 11-15 over night.
I just used my last drop of R-871 so from now on (before I get a refill) I will have to guess... The water looks great so it is promising!
cheers
Pawel

p0las said:
Brushpup said:
I would do what you are, focus on the FC/SLAM Levels with bleach until all the Algae is completely killed off. If you added 48% Ca Hypo recently that would only be about a 45 PPM increase in CH. Just curious, did you keep the pool going with regular FC levels during the winter months?

yep. the pool was covered with FC above 5 all the time, the pump was running for 4h a day (+SWG).
the water was nice and clear when I uncovered it but there was dead and live algae at the bottom which made the water cloudy once stirred. I did occasionally brush the walls but never the bottom.

yesterday morning OCLT showed only 1ppm but I continued SLAM just to be sure and this morning it showed 5ppm... I guess I will keep going with SLAM for a bit longer.
last night I lowered PH from 7.8 to 7.5 (FC in the evening was 7) and the pool was used during the day. could this contribute to failed OCLT test the following night?

The Sunlight and use during the day will always consume FC, so you only want to base your loss on what you see overnight with no use.

Jeff is right, you will need to elevate and hold your FC higher for the SLAM. Since you are low on reagent, you'll have to best guess it until you have some more to test with. Base your dose on what got you too, or a little above SLAM level most recently, and keep repeating the process.

Let me qualify that above post....

The SLAM process involves elevating FC and holding it high for a prolonged period of time until all three criteria are met, which will clear the pool of all living algae. Simply raising it once will not get the job done. From the pool school article, testing and dosing should be done no more than once per hour, but at least twice per day. The more often you can test and dose, the faster the process will complete. I understand that we have other things going on in our lives, but if its my pool, I would be as aggressive as possible in terms of dosing frequency. As said above, you'll have to guess until you get the reagent refill.

Smykowski said:
Let me qualify that above post....

The SLAM process involves elevating FC and holding it high for a prolonged period of time until all three criteria are met, which will clear the pool of all living algae. Simply raising it once will not get the job done. From the pool school article, testing and dosing should be done no more than once per hour, but at least twice per day. The more often you can test and dose, the faster the process will complete. I understand that we have other things going on in our lives, but if its my pool, I would be as aggressive as possible in terms of dosing frequency. As said above, you'll have to guess until you get the reagent refill.

I know that. First two days (weekend) I checked the FC level multiple times a day (started hourly). But during week I have to go to work so I can do it only twice a day (as per minimum recommendation from pool school). Another weekend is coming but I don't think I will get my reagent refill in time :-(
thanks.

It should be pretty easy to dose 3 times a day. Once in the morning, once when you get home and then right before bed. The more consistently you can keep the FC level at SLAM level, the faster the process will go. Since it drops so much during the day, maybe raise it a little higher in the morning.

I have discovered a little algae colony at the bottom of my pool on top of grey plastic cover for disused outlet. And I thought I killed it all already... I even checked behind the light (there was nothing there).
besides that the water looks great. 11 days of SLAM so far.
thank you everybody for great advice!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.