Algae problem

Your "drops kit" might be good to check PH. You should check it now before adding any bleach or chlorine. We need your PH to be about 7.2 before starting a SLAM with higher bleach content. PH is lowered with muriatic acid, or raised in one of three ways: borax, soda ash, and aeration.

I suspect your drops test kit will only test chlorine up to the level "5" right? That's our problem with some of those smaller store kits.

At this point KiiKii, I don't want to overload you with too much info. If you re-read the steps above, that's a very good start. For now simply focus on the following:
1. Adjust Ph to about 7.2 as noted above before starting a SLAM. Once you start adding bleach for the SLAM, don't test the Ph anymore until the SLAM is done.
2. Add that stabilizer as noted above for a new target of 30 via the sock method.
3. Until you have a good way to test for FC (free chlorine) levels above 5 (i.e. 10 and above), it will be a bit of guesswork by adding bleach. But just so you know ... by using the Poolmath calculator , one gallon of 8.25% bleach will increase your FC level by about 4.5 ppm. So if you showed absolutely no FC in your water right now, 2 gallons and 1 quart of bleach would get you to 12 ppm (your SLAM FC level). But then you need to keep it there, and to do that you'll need a way to test it consistently as noted above.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.