Algae phosphate in salt pool issues

windowman

Silver Supporter
Mar 23, 2016
West Chester, PA
Have had recurring minor green algae problems ever since we built the pool 30 years ago. Two years ago changed to salt chlorine generator from Bromine. Have always tried to maintain proper levels but have not been able to get residual chlorine above .5. Should be 3-5 ppm. Two years ago Local supply store put in computer water analyzer that now tests for phosphates. Have been 3-5000 ppm, should be less than 500ppm. Have been using Phos Free but not putting dent in phosphate level and requires several back washes during season. Found product called Phosfloc made by same company (Natural Chemistry) but not readily available at local stores. Found on internet and recently used. Filter media must be out of tank or filter must be completely bypassed. Put in four small tubs (40,000 gal pool) +/- $80.00. circulated for 8 hours and shut off. Settles into cloudy mush in bottom of pool, vacuum out next day onto grass without going through filter. Phosphates now 400ppm. Should resolve algae, and low residual chlorine problems, will see. Phosphates are put in public water to help pipes keep from corroding, most people don't test for them, high phosphates create all sorts of issues.

wm,

How is it possible for you to be a member (and silver supporter) since 2016 and not understand that Phosphates do not cause algae???

The reason you have algae, and most likely will continue to have algae, is just because you are not keeping your FC high enough in relationship to your CYA level..

If your FC is correct, it just does not matter what your phosphate level is... No doubt that phosphates are algae food, but just like food in your refrigerator , it makes no difference if there is no one around to eat it.

My comments are really for the people reading your post, as I doubt that I will be able to change your mind... :p I just don't want new members thinking that adding some magical chemical to their pool is going to make their algae go away...

Thanks for reporting your pool maintenance process..

Jim R.

Jim has you covered with your misunderstanding about phosphates, but I do have a question that may explain your problems.

When you added the SWCG did you drain and refill the pool?

You can't just "switch" from bromine to chlorine, the bromine remains behind. As bromine is used killing the nasty stuff it is converted to bromide, and the The SWG would simply convert bromide back bromine. Bromine is then wiped out by the sun (it is not protected by CYA).

So your high chlorine demand may be because you never got rid of the bromine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.