Algae or pollen? (Lots of pictures)

Re: Quick question about SLAM end

It's a pretty simple process.

I may need to do that, thanks. I do have a potentially kind of stupid question.

In order to open up my sand filter I need to take the multiport valve off. Do I need to plug and disconnect the hoses (one to the pump, one to the return), or can I just set the valve to "closed" and take it off? I got one of the normal Hayward ones.

Thanks Dom, I was missing the point. I'm pretty terrible at measuring CYA, and I got to 35 because I had measured somewhere between 30 and 40 before, backwashed since, and gotten the pool store result since. I tend to not trust them either, but I just wanted to get another data point (I actually went to buy more filter sand since I thought I had lost a lot since the last refill and the guy wouldn't sell me any because he said I should just do a complete replacement after 2-3 years. I need to go and read back up on what I should actually do). The CYA reagents are just so rare that I can't re-measure it every couple of weeks, but with all the trees over my pool I'm constantly backwashing 2-3 inches of water, so since my pool is full at 45 inches that means I lose about 5% of my water every time I backwash (I don't know if that is normal or too much, now that I think about it). So, if my CYA was 37 before the backwash (and refill/rain) and I lost 5% I'd be at 35 again.

I get your advice though, and if once my DPD test comes in I can't pass an OCLT I'll measure my CYA again and do another SLAM, and if it's anything more than 30 I'll do it at 16.

Thanks again for all the help.
Another attempt at trying to get you 'Pool $tored'...... Sand has been here a million+ years, and hasn't worn out yet, it's still there at the beach every time I go, and it's constantly moving around from the force of water..... And to refuse to sell you any because you will not buy enough to change it all is ridiculous, and really shows that they are more concerned about their own bottom line than your concerns. I would stay as far away from that store as possible.

There is really no need to ever change the sand if you properly maintain your pool. Part of my closing routine is to deep clean my sand filter (as already mentioned). I can't believe the gunk that comes out.

Also, CYA (and other) reagent is only a mouse click away at TFTestKits.net, 8oz for $8:

http://tftestkits.net/R-0013-CYA-Refill-8-0z-p52.html

They also sell a 50ppm standard that you can use to help you perform the CYA test accurately:

http://tftestkits.net/R-7065-CYA-Standard-Solution-p34.html

You use the 50ppm standard in place of your pool water, fill the view tube to 50ppm, and then find what works for you to read 50ppm. Easy Peasy. Once you get accurate results with the standard you will know that your results from the pool are accurate as well.

Dom

I may need to do that, thanks. I do have a potentially kind of stupid question.

In order to open up my sand filter I need to take the multiport valve off. Do I need to plug and disconnect the hoses (one to the pump, one to the return), or can I just set the valve to "closed" and take it off? I got one of the normal Hayward ones.

You need to plug the openings, or if the hoses are long enough, take them off the multiport and hang them over the side into the pool. Use a little tape to hold them in place if needed.

Thanks for the merge. I am actually still battling this issue to some degree. I thought there was a problem with my filter, so I posted in the equipment section of the forum, but by now that has turned back into another algae/SLAM question. My latest update is here: Sand Filter Troubles (Deep Clean + DE = cloudy pool?)

I'm not sure if the mods want to merge this, or if I should split up the issues into an Algae/SLAM question and a filter question.
Thanks everyone for the advice so far.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.