Algae or not

Swimgo

May 1, 2023
Hertfordshire
Just opened up our pool after Winter. This is our 4th year of owing a pool and usually on opening there is some algae and general detrius. This year the whole bottom of the pool is covered in one continuous sheet of dark brown substance. On removing the winter pool cover it looked a bit like an alien landscape as some of it was pulling away from the bottom and floating up in small sheets. We've removed most of it quite easily with a brush and net. It comes away in long strips and as it is removed a lot of bubbles escape from under it. The substance keeps it's form when held and is slimy, bit like the feel of seaweed. Tried looking it up, but can find nothing on it. None of the pictures of algae look anything like it. We are disposing of it but I am curious to what it is and if it can be composted or not. Thank you for any help

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0122.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0122.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 22
  • thumbnail_IMG_0123.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0123.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 22
Welcome to TFP! :wave: You're welcome to post some pics of this mystery material from your water. Maybe someone here will recognize it. As to the potential for algae, it's a possibility. For those in doubt who are just opening the pool from its winter slumber, we often suggest doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. This will help to confirm if you have algae or not. You need a proper test kit at home to do the OCLT and to simply be vigilant on your water levels throughout the season. We recommend a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. If you already have one, be sure to add it and all of your pool details to your signature.

Also be sure to bookmark our Pool Care Basics page for tons of great info. Enjoy the forum. :swim:

Thanks for your advise. I'm not very technical and old so have managed to attach pictures to my original post. What can be seen in the pictures is after we had started clearing it. What was left on the bottom of the pool has, over the last 24hours started to float to the top of the pool. The water itself is crystal clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.